Three intersections along the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) shared-use trail near South Four Mile Run Drive, including W&OD Trail/Four Mile Run Drive at South George Mason Drive, at the signalized entrance to the Barcroft Sports Complex and at South Oakland Street.
- Summer 2014-summer 2016 – Design
- Winter 2017 – Bidding process
- Spring/summer 2017 - Contract awarded
- Early September 2017 - Construction begins
- Survey work is complete.
- Work began at the W&OD Trail/South George Mason Drive intersection the week of October 2,
- Sidewalk closures and detours are planned during this project. Sidewalks will generally be closed on only one corner of the intersection at a time.
- The W&OD Trail will remain open throughout construction.
- When trail and sidewalk detours are necessary, detour routes will be marked and will direct pedestrians and cyclists safely around the work zone.
- Summer 2018 - Anticipated project completion
Below is a tentative outline of the upcoming construction schedule for trail improvements; subject to change and weather permitting. Work hours will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
|S. George Mason Drive intersection||September/October 2017 - complete*|
|Barcroft signalized entrance||November 2017 through March 2018 - complete*|
|S. Oakland Street||October/November 2017 - complete *|
*Major construction work is complete. Pavement markings will be completed in spring 2018.
Please note: This project is being implemented with the same contract as the Custis Trail Improvements project.
About the Project
The project will implement recommendations made in the Arlington County Shared-Use Trail Study that was completed in 2010. This project will provide safety improvements at three intersections along the W&OD Trail near South Four Mile Run Drive, including South George Mason Drive, the signalized entrance to Barcroft Sports Complex and South Oakland Street. Specific improvements include:
- High visibility crosswalks
- ADA-compliant curb ramps
- Upgraded pedestrian signals at the signalized entrance to the Barcroft Park Sports Complex
- Curb and gutters realigned to reduce trail-crossing distance and minimize impervious pavement
- Improved trail alignment at the South Oakland Street crossing to better align trail crossing, reduce running slope of trail and preserve existing mature evergreen trees on north side of trail
- Lane reconfiguration at South George Mason Drive and the W&OD Trail crossing to reduce bike and pedestrian crossing distance
- Improved bus stops
About the Process
In July 2014, initial notification letters were sent to the Bicycle Advisory Committee and civic associations that are adjacent to the project areas.
In October 2014, a Programmatic Categorical Exclusion was prepared for the project in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act and CFR 771.
In February 2015, letters were sent to civic associations, residents and property owners adjacent to the project areas to update and notify them of Arlington County's willingness to hold a public hearing. A few residents submitted questions and concerns about the project, and staff responded to them individually. No requests were received for a public hearing and the willingness period is now closed.
The project is funded by a grant from the Federal Highway Administration Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Program, managed by VDOT. The project is locally administered by Arlington County.