West phase: Wilson Boulevard from North Monroe Street to North Kenmore Street
East phase: Wilson Boulevard from North Kenmore Street to 10th Street North
At its December 2018 meeting, the County Board approved a $1.1 million contract with Sagres Construction Corp. to construct the west phase improvements.
Construction began in spring 2019, with completion expected in fall 2019.
What to expect during construction:
- Normal work hours will be 9:30 am to 3 pm, Monday through Friday.
- When installing the new sidewalk, there will be sidewalk closures and detours. Signage will direct pedestrians around the closures.
About the Project
Improvements to Wilson Boulevard were identified in the Virginia Square Sector Plan, adopted by the County Board in 2002.
Between 2009 and 2012. the County completed two previous phases (North Quincy Street to North Monroe Street) of the Wilson Boulevard Improvements project.
Project elements for all phases include:
- New curb and gutter
- ADA-compliant sidewalks
- Traffic signal improvements
- Carlyle-style streetlights
- Street trees
- Storm sewer upgrades/improvements
- New asphalt paving, signing and markings
Read the March 2019 project update
The project’s final east phase is in the early design phase. It is being coordinated with a utility undergrounding project that will bury utility lines in this area. The final phase of the streetscape improvements will begin construction after completion of the utility undergrounding project.
- Estimated construction start – Spring 2020
- Estimated construction completion – Spring 2021
Updates have been presented to the Lyon Village, Lyon Park, Ashton Heights and Clarendon Courthouse civic associations since 2011, and notification updates were provided throughout the design process.
Staff last provided an update at the Ashton Heights Civic Association meeting in January 2018.
Project updates will continue to be provided to residents and the business community throughout construction.
This project is locally funded.