West Glebe Road Bridge at South Four Mile Run Drive. The bridge travels over South Four Mile Run and the Four Mile Run Trail.
County staff are working on a bridge design. Following a public open house, feedback was collected online in February 2020.
About the Project
A routine inspection in fall 2018 uncovered deterioration that required a vehicle weight restriction of 5-tons and closure of the sidewalks in both directions. The southbound lane across the bridge was converted for the exclusive use of people walking and biking.
County staff are developing designs for a bridge that replaces the deteriorated roadway substructure and reuses the existing piers, which are stable. This reduces impacts to the watershed, helps reduce project costs and contributes to a shorter construction timeline.
The goals of this project are to:
- Return the bridge to a safe operational condition for all users
- Improve access for people walking, biking and driving
- Advance the community vision of the Four Mile Run Master Plan
- View a summary of guidance from the Four Mile Run Restoration Master Plan (2006) and the Four Mile Run Design Guidelines (2009)
Open House - February 2020
Arlington County staff, in coordination with colleagues in the City of Alexandria, hosted a drop-in style open house at Gunston Middle School. For those unable to attend the open house, meeting materials are provided below and feedback was collected online.
- Project Boards: Project Background; Planning Guidance; Existing Conditions, Constraints and Opportunities; Opportunities for Input; and Next Steps.
- Plantillas de Proyecto: Introducción del Proyecto y Guías para el Proyecto; Condiciones Existentes, Alternativas y Restricciones; Oportunidades para Contribuir; y Pasos Siguientes
Community Engagement and Feedback Summary