About the Project
Many of the existing traffic signals in the County have exceeded their intended service life. This project includes the reconstruction of outdated traffic signals to meet current Federal and County standards and specifications. Signal upgrade projects implement new technologies such as accessible pushbutton stations, CCTV for monitoring, video detection, and improved intersection lighting to improve safety, efficiency, and accessibility for all modes of travel.
Learn more about our traffic signals and technology
Transportation Engineers use a variety of methods to prioritize signal upgrade locations, including the type of signal, age of the infrastructure, and the type of roadway facilities impacted. Each signal upgrade requires a design phase and a construction phase.
This project is funded by a variety of sources including County funds, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) funds, and other sources of revenue. The project is locally administered by Arlington County.
Active Signal Upgrades
The locations listed below have been identified for upgrade and are in the construction phase.
|South Glebe Road and 5th Street South||Summer 2019|
|North George Mason Drive and Washington Boulevard||Summer 2019|
|Yorktown Boulevard and Little Falls Road||Summer 2019|
Updated February 2019
Completed Signal Upgrade Projects
- Arlington Boulevard and Fillmore Street
- N George Mason Drive and 16th Street North
- I-66 Eastbound Off-Ramp and Lee Highway
- I-66 Westbound On-Ramp and Lee Highway
- Walter Reed Drive and 7th Street South
- Walter Reed Drive and Fire Station #9
- Washington Boulevard and 10th Street North
- Washington Boulevard and North Sycamore Street
- Washington Boulevard and North Quincy Street
- Washington Boulevard and North Stafford Street
- Williamsburg Boulevard and North Sycamore Street
- Wilson Boulevard and North Lynn Street