About the Project
Many of the existing traffic signals in the County have exceeded their intended service life. This project includes the reconstruction of outdated traffic signals to meet current Federal and County standards and specifications. Signal upgrade projects implement new technologies such as accessible pushbutton stations, CCTV for monitoring, video detection, and improved intersection lighting to improve safety, efficiency, and accessibility for all modes of travel.
Learn more about our traffic signals and technology
Transportation Engineers use a variety of methods to prioritize signal upgrade locations, including the type of signal, age of the infrastructure, and the type of roadway facilities impacted. Each signal upgrade requires a design phase and a construction phase.
This project is funded by a variety of sources including County funds, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) funds, and other sources of revenue. The project is locally administered by Arlington County.
Active Signal Upgrades
The locations listed below have been identified for upgrade and are in the construction phase.
|Washington Boulevard and North Highland Street||Summer 2021|
|North Glebe Road and Williamsburg Boulevard||Winter 2021|
|Arlington Boulevard and North Henderson Road||Spring 2022|
|Arlington Boulevard and North Montague Street||Summer 2022|
|Fairfax Drive and North Monroe Street||Summer 2022|
|South Carlin Springs Rd. & 6th Road South||Summer 2022|
|North George Mason Drive and North Pershing Drive||Summer 2022|
|South Arlington Ridge Road and 23rd Street South||Summer 2022|
Updated May 2021
Completed Signal Upgrade Projects
- Yorktown Boulevard and Little Falls Road
- North George Mason Drive & North Henderson Road
- Arlington Boulevard and Fillmore Street
- North George Mason Drive and 16th Street North
- South Glebe Road and 5th Street South
- North George Mason Drive and Washington Boulevard
- I-66 Eastbound Off-Ramp and Lee Highway
- I-66 Westbound On-Ramp and Lee Highway
- Walter Reed Drive and 7th Street South
- Walter Reed Drive and Fire Station #9
- Washington Boulevard and 10th Street North
- Washington Boulevard and North Sycamore Street
- Washington Boulevard and North Quincy Street
- Washington Boulevard and North Stafford Street
- Williamsburg Boulevard and North Sycamore Street
- Wilson Boulevard and North Lynn Street