S. Walter Reed Drive from 5th Street S. to 9th Road S.
The project is at 60 percent design completion.
Current Project Activities:
- Coordinating with Arlington Public Schools (APS) on possible school expansion.
- Addressing real estate easements required for proposed design.
- Reviewing and incorporating 60% design comments.
About the Project - Proposed Improvements
- Redesign intersection geometry at 5th Street S. and 9th Street S. that will tighten each intersection and slow turning vehicles.
- Striped medians will be replaced with raised, planted medians, contributing to the County’s overall goal of reducing the amount of impervious surfaces and improving stormwater management.
- Install new striping and signage.
- Spot treatment on sidewalks - replacing cracked sections or areas with significant damage.
- Installing "nubs" at each intersection to shorten the crossing distance for pedestrians.
- Replacing existing curb ramps with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant ramps.
- Landscaping in medians and in planting strips
These improvements will be installed once the elements listed above are completed.
- 7th Street S. traffic signal upgrade
- New traffic signal at 9th Street S.
- Bioretention facilities at 5th and 9th Streets S.
About the Process
- A before an after Corridor Comparison Study was conducted following the restriping of S. Walter Reed Dr. between 5th Street South and Columbia Pike.
- Community reviews occurred during the development of the 30% design plans.
- A project meeting was held with the Penrose and Arlington Heights civic associations in March, 2016.
- Completion of 90% design plans - anticipated to be Fall 2016
- Final design, construction bid, construction award - anticipated to be Winter/Spring 2017
- Construction completion - anticipated to be late 2017 to early 2018