Address: 1201 (future) S. Ross Street
South of 12th Street South (southeast corner of the existing Wellington property)
This reports the status related to the entitlement process only and does not imply the status of any individual building permits.
This project was approved by the County Board on July 20, 2016. Read the meeting minutes with approved site plan conditions (Item #61) (coming soon).
Check building permit status.
About the Project
The applicant, Washington Real Estate Investment Trust (WashREIT) Wellington Apartments LLC, proposes to build three, 6-story residential buildings totaling 402 (market-rate) multi-family dwelling units on approximately 152,368 square feet of land on the site currently occupied by the Wellington Apartments without removing any existing units. The new development will achieve LEED Silver energy efficiency and will additionally convert 105 of the existing units within the Wellington Apartment buildings to committed affordable units.
- Zoned “RA6-15” and located within the Columbia Pike Neighborhoods Special Revitalization District
- 6-Story, multi-family project
- 402 reserved (tenant) parking spaces
- 51 shared (visitor) parking spaces
- 35,531 square feet of private open space
- 161 bicycle spaces located within garage
- Streetscape improvements around the perimeter of the new building (including clear sidewalk, trees and trash bins)
- Construction of new street connections (South Ross Street and new segment of 12th Street South)
Elements Under Consideration
Since the proposed three buildings include several connections by enclosed pedestrian walkways, this project is assessed through the Form Based Code as one, individual building. As a result, from a zoning perspective, the proposal will require a modification to the maximum building footprint and consequently follow the Special Exception Form Based Code Use Permit process. The applicant is also requesting a modification to the new street center line which has an impact on one of the Required Building Lines.
- June 27, 2016 - County Board Final Submission Drawings: Civil (part 1) | Civil (part 2) | Civil (part 3) | Civil (part 4) | Architecture | Landscape
- May 6, 2016 - Final Submission Drawings: Civil (part 1) | Civil (part 2) | Civil (part 3) | Architecture | Landscape
- March 18, 2016 - Third Preliminary Submission Drawings - Civil (part 1) | Civil (part 2) | Civil (part 3) | Architecture | Landscape
- Jan. 14, 2016 - Second Preliminary Submission Drawings - Civil | Architecture | Landscape
- Oct. 30, 2015 - First Preliminary Submission Drawings: Civil (part 1) | Civil (part 2) | Architecture | Landscape
- July 20, 2016 - County Board: Agenda (Item #61) | Staff Presentation | Board Report | Supplemental Report | Letter from Planning Commission | Attachments 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- May 24, 2016 - Community Meeting: No Materials
- April 26, 2016 - FBC AWG: Agenda | Civil (part 1) | Civil (part 2) | Civil (part 3) | Landscape | Architecture | Housing Plan | Phasing Plan | N-FBC Checklist | Staff Presentation | Applicant Presentation
- April 21, 2016 - SPRC/FBC AWG: Staff Report