Staff have reviewed the annual list of projects up for routine maintenance and identified a subset of streets for potential projects. Community feedback about current experiences with the street segments, along with other available data, such as plan guidance and crash data, helped inform the development of concept designs.
About the Project
Complete Streets “enable safe access by all user groups including pedestrians, bicyclists, transit vehicles and users, and motorists of all ages and abilities.” One of the ways Arlington County delivers on the Master Transportation Plan Complete Streets policy is to review the annual list of streets up for routine maintenance and identify those that might benefit from improvements to provide safe access for all people using the street.
2020 potential projects
- Wilson Boulevard – N Larrimore Street to McKinley Road (Dominion Hills/Boulevard Manor)
- Potomac Avenue – S Crystal Drive to Alexandria City Line (Crystal City/Potomac Yard)
- Clarendon Boulevard – N Nash to N Oak Street (Clarendon-Courthouse/Radnor/Fort Myer Heights)
- N Lorcom Lane – Old Dominion Drive to N Taylor Street and N Military Road – Lorcom Lane to Old Dominion Drive (North Arlington) – These projects were open to public feedback in 2019, and completed in spring 2020 to coordinate with construction around Dorothy Hamm Middle School. More information on their project page.
While specific project schedules may vary, this is a general timeline for these types of projects.
- Early Spring 2020 – Staff shares information on the potential projects and asks community members to share their experiences on these streets.
- Staff will use public feedback, existing plan guidance and other data to develop concept plans unique to the conditions at each location.
- Late Spring 2020 – Concept plans are shared with the public before implementation.
- Summer/Fall 2020 – Resurfacing and remarking work are completed for these projects.
About the Process
April 2020 Online Meeting
Arlington County staff hosted an online open house on Resurfacing Projects for Complete Streets in early April. Staff will shared background information on potential projects and how community members can share their experiences of the street to help staff develop concept plans.
If you were unable to attend the online open house, the meeting materials and a recording are available.
Your experiences of the streets, along with existing plan guidance and other data, will help staff develop concept plans unique to the conditions at each location. Feedback was collected in mid April, and can be viewed below.
- Resurfacing Projects for Complete Streets - View what community members shared about their experiences
May 2020 Online Meeting
Please join county staff for an online meeting on Thursday, June 4 from 6:30-7:30 pm to learn about the project, ask questions and share feedback on the design concepts for the three 2020 Resurfacing Projects for Complete Streets (Wilson Boulevard, Potomac Avenue and Clarendon Boulevard).
If you are unable to attend, a recording of the event will be shared on this page and an online feedback form will be available for comments after the 6/4 event.