The approximately 11-acre site is located in Pentagon City within the Aurora Highlands neighborhood. The site is bordered by Army Navy Drive (north), South Eads Street (east), 12th Street South (south), and South Fern Street (west). It is adjacent to the Crystal City Civic Association and I-395.
This reports the status related to Site Plan Review Process only (Administrative Regulation 4.1).
About the Project
The next phase of Amazon’s HQ2 is a proposed redevelopment of the PenPlace block in Pentagon City. The applicants, Acorn LLC and JBG Smith, acting as Amazon’s development consultant, submitted a proposed site plan application on February 2, 2021.
The proposal includes approximately 3.3 million square feet divided across four buildings.
- Three 22-story office buildings with ground floor retail
- One destination- and amenity-focused building called “The Helix,” a unique biophilic double helix structure with plantings native to the Mid-Atlantic region.
In addition, the proposal includes a 2.5-acre public open space , detached retail pavilions, and underground vehicular access. Specific details of the open space will be evaluated through a Park Master Plan process.
Buildings will be designed for LEED Platinum certification and tailored towards achieving the County’s Community Energy Plan goals. In addition, the project would contribute to the County’s utility fund, public art, and streetscape improvements.
The proposed development would supersede the approved plan for Pen Place adopted by the County Board in 2013.
The application will require:
- Pentagon City Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP) Amendment
- Revised Pen Place Design Guidelines
- Site Plan Amendment to incorporate the Residence Inn by Marriott property
- New Site Plan for proposed development of Pen Place (capturing all phases)
- Park Master Plan (PMP) for the design of the public open spaces on the site
February 2, 2021
- PenPlace Site Plan application materials and site plan drawings
- Pentagon City Phased Development Site Plan Amendment (includes proposed revised PenPlace Design Guidelines)
- Site Plan Amendment to Discontinue Residence Inn by Marriott Site Plan
- This project will undergo public review via a virtual Site Plan Review Process. Learn more.
- The SPRC Chair for the site plan review process is to be determined.
|Timeline||Milestone / Meeting||Materials|
|TBD||Site Plan Acceptance||
|TBD||Community Kick-Off Meeting (virtual)||
|TBD||Online Engagement Opportunities|
|TBD||Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC) Review|
|TBD||Park Master Plan Process (led by Department of Parks and Recreation)|
|TBD||Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC) Review Process|
|TBD||Planning Commission Meeting
|Anticipated by end of year 2021||County Board Meeting
*Process timelines are subject to change as needs arise. Check back for updates.
The County Board approved a previous site plan application for the Pen Place block in 2013. If approved, this proposal will supersede the previous approval.
- PenPlace: Planning Background
- Adopted PenPlace Design Guidelines
- Adopted PenPlace Open Space Guidelines
Related Plans and Processes
Subscribe for Updates
To receive project updates in your inbox, sign up here: