Old Dominion Drive from North Glebe Road to the County line
Construction began in July 2015 and was completed in fall 2017.
- Pot holes, damaged sidewalks/curbs, knocked down signs and vegetation trimming should be reported to VDOT maintenance crews or call 1-800-367-7623.
- The County will continue to maintain streetlights and traffic signals.
About the Project
Old Dominion Drive (Route 309) is one of the last arterial neighborhood roadways located within the County without sidewalks on either side. This project will improve pedestrian and bicycle safety.
As the major planning effort for Old Dominion Drive progressed, the concept plan was modified to reflect longer-term needs and was split into two phases. Phase 1 from Lee Highway to North Glebe Road was completed in 2010.
Phase 2 of the project will take place at North Glebe Road to 38th Street North and will also include spot improvements at the intersection of North Edison Street and 38th Street North.
Project features include:
- New sidewalks on both sides of the street
- Curbs and gutters
- Installation of a stormwater system
- Upgrades to transit stops
- Traffic signals
- Street trees
- New streetlights
Streetlights along Old Dominion Drive were turned on Aug. 1, 2017.
A public meeting was held in July 2009. County staff presented the 90 percent engineering design to the community in July 2012 before submitting it to VDOT for approval.
The project is funded for design and construction through a County partnership with VDOT.