North Oakland Street from North Pershing Drive to Arlington Blvd/Route 50 (Ashton Heights Neighborhood)
April 2021 - A Construction Contract has been approved and awarded for this project. Construction scheduling has not yet begun by the contractor or the County Construction Management team. A pre-construction meeting will be scheduled 1-2 weeks prior to the start of hardscape work.
March 2021 - The County is reviewing contractor bids for award of the contract to build the sidewalk and street improvements on N Oakland St. Construction is anticipated to start in the summer.
November 2020 - The Construction Drawing Set has been completed. The project is being prepared for procurement of a construction contractor.
About the Project
- A new 5’ wide concrete sidewalk will be constructed along the east side of the street
- A utility (grass) strip will also be included as part of the project, located adjacent to the sidewalk.
- The utility (grass) strip will vary in width, from two and a half feet to almost five feet. Where the width is at least four feet, opportunities may exist for street tree planting, to be determined later by the NC Program’s Landscape Architect.
- Stormwater drainage improvements will be made including some bioretention areas at two locations within the project limits.
- The street width will be narrowed to 28’-0” within most of the project limits, but on street parking will be maintained along both sides.
- The narrowed roadway will maintain two travel lanes, one in each direction, but will be considered a yield street.
- The NC street improvement project will be coordinated with a separate DES pedestrian improvement project along the North Pershing Drive Corridor at the North Oakland Street intersection.
Documents and Plans
- Conceptual Design Presentation Meeting Agenda (Feb. 10, 2015)
- Conceptual Design Meeting Notes (Feb. 10, 2015)
- Conceptual Design Plan (Feb. 10, 2015)
- Final Design Meeting Notes (October 4, 2018)
- Final Design
- Final Design (Rain Garden)
- Project Update Community Meeting Presentation and Meeting Notes (Feb. 26, 2020)
- We're seeking neighborhood resident feedback on updates to the plan. Submit your comments here by March 20, 2020.