North Highland Street from Arlington Boulevard to 1st Road North (Lyon Park Neighborhood)
September, 2021: Construction is beginning on this project. Residents can expect to see surveying and other mobilization activities by the contractor in the coming weeks. For questions or concerns regarding construction, please reach out to the project’s County Construction Manager: Jasneet Singh by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June, 2021: Verizon is onsite to relocate their lines to the new utility poles. Once this is complete and the old utility poles have been removed, the sidewalk/street improvement construction can be done. The start date is currently TBD and expected to be sometime later this summer, pending contractor availability and sequencing/completion of other construction projects currently underway. A resident Pre-Construction meeting will be held onsite 1 to 2 weeks prior to when it begins.
May 7, 2021- Watermain upgrades are continuing throughout the month. Verizon will be onsite afterward to relocate their lines to new utility poles
April 19, 2021 – Water, Sewer, Streets (WSS) has begun construction of their Highland St. watermain upgrade project. Construction is anticipated to continue through the end of May.
April 2021 - The Construction Contract has been approved and awarded for this project. Hardscape construction scheduling has not yet begun. Utilities update: Comcast has completed their work. Verizon should start soon.
March 2021 - Comcast is transferring their lines to new poles, to be completed mid-March. Verizon will transfer their lines to new poles next. The County is reviewing contractor bids for award of the contract to build the sidewalk and street improvements on N. Highland St. Construction is anticipated to begin in the summer.
February 2021 - Washington Gas has completed their work. Once Comcast has completed setting their schedule, they will mobilize a crew to begin transferring their cables
January 2021 -
- Washington Gas is completing their work over the weeks 1/18/21 and 1/25/21.
- Sequencing of the remaining utility work in advance of Highland St.’s NC Sidewalk project is: Comcast, followed by Verizon, then the County’s WSS watermain upgrade project.
- It is anticipated that construction of the NC Sidewalk Project will begin in the summer.
- The County Board has approved the award of the construction contract to Sagres Construction.
November 2020 - Washington Gas will be upgrading the gas main lines and services to residents on N. Highland St. Their work will extend from a few houses south of 1st St. N. to mid-block between 1st Rd. N. and 2nd St. N. This project will commence in early to mid-November and is anticipated to take 3 months to complete.
October 2020 -
- Procurement of a construction contractor for this project is underway.
- Relocation of utility poles was completed in October.
About the Project
- West side of the street: 4′-0″ wide concrete sidewalk adjacent to a 2′-6″ to 3’-0” utility (grass) strip, curb & gutter, with ADA compliant pedestrian ramps.
- East side of the street: new curb & gutter, ADA complaint curb ramp installed at the intersection with 1st St. N., tie in to existing sidewalk.
- Driveway aprons within the project limits will be replaced.
- Asphalt street reconstruction and pavement milling/paving.
- The roadway will be narrowed to 28’, except in the area of a significant tree, where the road width will further reduce to 22’. A small portion of the street closer to Arlington Blvd. will widen slightly to 28’ and will maintain two travel lanes, one in each direction.
- On-street parking will be retained on both sides, except where the road narrows adjacent to the large tree, and where prohibited for traffic engineering ordinance reasons.