North Highland Street from Arlington Boulevard to 1st Road North (Lyon Park Neighborhood)
April 2021 - The Construction Contract has been approved and awarded for this project. Hardscape construction scheduling has not yet begun. Utilities update: Comcast has completed their work and Verizon should start soon.
March 2021 - Comcast is transferring their lines to new poles, to be completed mid-March. Verizon will transfer their lines to new poles next. The County is reviewing contractor bids for award of the contract to build the sidewalk and street improvements on N Highland St. Construction is anticipated to begin in the summer.
February 2021 - Washington Gas has completed their work. Once Comcast has completed setting their schedule, they will mobilize a crew to begin transferring their cables
January 2021 -
- Washington Gas is completing their work over the weeks 1/18/21 and 1/25/21.
- Sequencing of the remaining utility work in advance of Highland Street’s NC Sidewalk project is: Comcast, followed by Verizon, then the County’s WSS watermain upgrade project.
- It is anticipated that construction of the NC Sidewalk Project will begin in the summer.
- The County Board has approved the award of the construction contract to Sagres Construction.
November 2020 - Washington Gas will be upgrading the gas main lines and services to residents on N Highland St. Their work will extend from a few houses south of 1st St N to mid-block between 1st Rd N and 2nd St N. This project will commence in early to mid-November, and is anticipated to take 3 months to complete.
October 2020 -
- Procurement of a construction contractor for this project is underway.
- Relocation of utility poles was completed in October.
About the Project
- West side of the street: 4′-0″ wide concrete sidewalk adjacent to a 2′-6″ to 3’-0” utility (grass) strip, curb & gutter, with ADA compliant pedestrian ramps.
- East side of the street: new curb & gutter, ADA complaint curb ramp installed at the intersection with 1st Street N, tie in to existing sidewalk.
- Driveway aprons within the project limits will be replaced.
- Asphalt street reconstruction and pavement milling/paving.
- The roadway will be narrowed to 28’, except in the area of a significant tree, where the road width will further reduce to 22’. A small portion of the street closer to Arlington Blvd. will widen slightly to 28’’, and will maintain two travel lanes, one in each direction.
- On street parking will be retained on both sides, except where the road narrows adjacent to the large tree, and where prohibited for traffic engineering ordinance reasons.