North Carlin Springs Road intersections at North Edison Street and North Wakefield Street
- Utility pole replacements - Spring 2020
- Expected construction start - Fall 2020
- Expected construction completion – Winter 2020
90% design plans:
About the Project
Carlin Springs Road is a principal arterial connecting neighborhoods in Arlington County. This project will increase pedestrian safety by improving the North Carlin Springs Road intersections at North Edison Street and North Wakefield Street.
The following improvements will be implemented as part of this project:
- Installing a Rapid Flashing Beacon crossing at the North Edison Street intersection (see image)
- Installing curb extensions to shorten crossing distances at both intersections
- Moving bus stops to the far side of the intersection at both intersections
- Installing high visibility crosswalks at both intersections
- Improving Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ramps at both intersections
- Widening median at Carlin Springs and North Edison Street to reduce vehicle speeds and provide a pedestrian refuge area
- Adding signage and upgrading pavement markings at both intersections
Staff continue to attend civic association meetings to provide project updates:
- September 2019 - Presentation to the Bluemont Civic Association. Arlington Forest Civic Association members also were invited to attend this presentation.
- October 2017 - Presentations to the Arlington Forest Civic Association and the Bluemont Civic Association
Project costs will be shared between Arlington County and the Virginia Department of Transportation.