North Carlin Springs Road between North Edison Street and North Park Drive
- Expected construction start - Fall 2019
- Expected construction completion - Spring 2020
About the Project
Carlin Springs Road is a major arterial connecting neighborhoods in Arlington County.
This project will help improve pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure connectivity, with both old and new upcoming improvements, leading to the intersection of Carlin Springs Road at North Glebe Road.
Providing bicycle facilities along North Carlin Springs Road to North Edison Street will allow cyclists to then connect via Edison Street to the Bluemont Junction Trail or by North Granada Street to the W&OD Trail.
The study recommends modifying intersections to improve pedestrian safety and reduce vehicle travel speeds with the following improvements:
- Installing a Rapid Flashing Beacon at North Edison Street (see image)
- Installing curb extensions to shorten crossing distances at Carlin Springs and North Edison Street
- Moving bus stops to the far side of the intersection at North Edison Street
- Installing high visibility crosswalks at Carlin Springs and North Edison Street
- Improving Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ramps at the intersections of North Edison Street and North Wakefield Street
- Widening median at Carlin Springs and North Edison Street
- Adding signage and upgrading pavement markings at Carlin Springs and North Edison Street
Presentations were shared with the Arlington Forest Civic Association and the Bluemont Civic Association in October 2017.
Staff continue to attend civic association meetings to provide project updates.
Project costs will be shared between Arlington County and the Virginia Department of Transportation.