Addresses: 1400 S. Eads St. & 501 15th St. S.
The 6.2 acre site is bounded by 13th Street South (north), new South Elm Street (west), South Eads Street (east) and 15th Street South (south).
This reports the status related to the 4.1 Site Plan Process only -- not the status of building or construction permits.
This proposal for new office/retail development will supersede the 2016 site plan approval for Metropolitan Park 6.
About the Project
The proposal (the initial phase of Amazon headquarters in Arlington County) includes the construction of two office buildings (Metropolitan Park 6 and Metropolitan Park 7/8) containing a total of approximately 2 million sq. ft. and approximately 67,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail and retail equivalent uses. Proposed modifications include for density, height, penthouse height, and reduced parking ratio. The applicant is also requesting to exclude mechanical shafts and below-grade storage from the calculation of gross floor area.
Also included is a proposed amendment to the Pentagon City Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP) to convert the allocated residential density to office density, to permit office buildings at heights of up to 22 stories and additional commercial/retail density on Parcel 3 (Metropolitan Park).
4.1 Accepted Filing
Subject to change throughout the public review process.
- June 21, 2019: 4.1 Plans Part 1 | Final 4.1 Plans Part 2 | Application Materials | Multimodal Transportation Assessment (MMTIA) | PDSP Amendment Application
- July 15, 2019: Revised 4.1 plans
- September 19, 2019: Revised 4.1 Plans | Revised PDSP application | Revised site plan application
- October 30, 2019: Revised 4.1 Plans | Revised PDSP Application | Revised site plan application | Revised Design Guidelines
- November 7, 2019: Revised MMTIA
Proposed Community Benefits
There is a proposed community benefits package for the first phase of Amazon’s development, part of the Met Park Phases 6& 7/8 site plan application. The applicant is requesting additional density for its proposed two 22-story office buildings, which can be earned through contributions toward affordable housing or community facilities. To earn this additional square footage of development and to mitigate the overall impact of the project, the applicant will make contributions to improve transportation, streetscape, utilities and public open space, as well as sustainable design commitments for a LEED Platinum certified building, and a $20 million affordable housing contribution.
- November 19: Parks and Recreation Commission
- November 25: Transportation Commission
- December 2: Planning Commission
- December 5: Housing Commission
- December 14: County Board| Staff Report| Applicant Presentation
- July 10, 2019 - Met Park Phases 6 & 7/8 Community Meeting | Staff Presentation | Applicant Presentation | Planning Commission Presentation
Long Range Planning Committee Meeting
- July 15, 2019 - Long Range Planning Committee Meeting, 7 p.m., Parks Operations Building 2700 South Taylor Street, 2nd Floor | REVISED Agenda | Staff Memo | Staff Presentation | Applicant Presentation | Meeting Summary
Site Plan Review Committee Meetings
- July 29, 2019 - Site Plan Review Committee Meeting, 7 p.m., Parks Operations Building 2700 South Taylor Street, 2nd Floor | Agenda/Staff Report | Applicant Presentation Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary
- September 23, 2019 - Site Plan Review Committee Meeting, 7 p.m., Aurora Hills Community Center, 735 18th Street South | To be preceded by an optional walking tour at 5:30 p.m. Meet in the Bartlett lobby (520 12th Street South). | Agenda/Staff Report |Staff Presentation | Revised Tour Map | Applicant Presentation | Meeting Summary
- October 14, 2019 - Site Plan Review Committee Meeting, 7 p.m., Aurora Hills Community Center, 735 18th Street South | Agenda/Staff Report | Applicant Presentation | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary
- Amazon in Arlington webpage
- Feb. 25, 1976 – Pentagon City Master Development Plan
- Nov. 12, 1997 – Pentagon City Planning Task Force Report
- Nov. 12, 2003 – Metropolitan Park Project Booklet
- June 28, 2016 – Metropolitan Park Design Guidelines
- July 01, 2019 - 22202 Planning Background Presentation for Planning Commission
For updates about this particular project, subscribe: