McKinley Road from Wilson Boulevard to 11th Street North
The County Board approved the project's construction contract at its meeting on Oct. 20, 2018. Construction started in May 2019 and was completed in fall 2019.
Additional construction occurred in summer 2020 on improvements at the intersection of McKinley Road and 10th Road North. This included the installation of curb extensions and modifying the median in front of McKinley Elementary.
About the Project
This Safe Routes to Schools project will implement recommended safety improvements in conjunction with Arlington Public School’s McKinley Elementary School expansion. The improvements will help reduce speeding along the corridor and address intersection crossing concerns.
Major Scope Elements & Improvements:
- 5.5’ sidewalk curb extensions at 9th Street/Quantico and 9th Road Intersection
- Remove painted midblock crossing and ramps at Church of Christ Scientist
- Minor bus stop relocations – Install new bus facilities and bus pads at bus stops
- Repaving throughout the entire project limit
- Install new pavement markings and signage
- High visibility crosswalks where pedestrian volumes warrant this striping treatment
- Landscaping (shade trees) in the raised medians and possibly large curb extensions
- Provide ADA-compliant curb ramps
- Raised medians with pedestrian refuge
- Utility relocations, as necessary
- Relocation of storm inlets, as necessary, due to curb extensions
- Spring 2016 - Community review of concept plans
- Late 2017 - Community notification of final design
This program is funded through the Transportation Alternatives Program by the Commonwealth of Virginia.