Construction Alert – The Parks Construction Schedule is updated with a new projected end date 2nd Quarter 2021.
3011 7th St N., Arlington, VA 22201
Start Date (Design): 4th Quarter 2017
End Date (Design): 4th Quarter 2018 (Completed)
Start Date (Construction): 4th Quarter 2019
End Date (Construction): 2nd Quarter 2021 (Projected)
About the Project
The Zitkala-Ša Park project includes design and reconstruction of the basketball court, playground, open field, picnic shelter, site circulation, site furnishings, fencing, drainage and landscaping.
About the Process
- View the Henry Clay final design concept based on community input.
- View County Board Report from July 13, 2019
An informational meeting took place on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 to learn more about the proposed design for Zitkala-Ša Park. Staff shared the anticipated timeline for the construction phases. After this meeting, a few changes were made to the layout, based upon feedback:
- Moved the drinking fountain closer to its existing location.
- Rotated the ADA ramp to provide greater visibility between the playground areas.
- Increased seating at playground areas.
- Fencing around playground planters will not be greater than 30” in height.
A Concept Design Kick-off meeting was held on Wednesday Feb. 28, 2018. Staff shared information about the project schedule, online feedback solicited, existing site characteristics, and floated two design concepts. Key things heard from attendees:
- Improve the field turf and associated soil issues at the bare areas
- Climbing structures that many children can use at once are highly desired
- Swings are highly desired in the playground
- A drinking fountain is preferable over having sand in the 2-5 yr. age playground
- Available seating throughout the park is important
- Maple trees on the west side of the park are beloved by the neighborhood
- Open field should be kept unprogrammed
Presentation materials are available for viewing here
The community was invited to share their feedback and experiences around Zitkala-Ša Park online in Jan. 2018. The information collected was used to help develop the project.
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.