3308 S Stafford St
Arlington, VA 22206
Start Date: 3rd Quarter 2016 (Design Process Begins)
End Date: 3rd Quarter 2017 (Design)
Start Date: 2nd Quarter 2018 (Construction)
End Date: COMPLETED March 22, 2019
About the Project
Just in time for spring, the new Fairlington playground is ready to rumble! Join us for the playground ribbon cutting on May 4 at 11 a.m.
The renovation included the design and reconstruction of the playground, exercise equipment, circuit trail, picnic area, site circulation, site furnishings, fencing, stormwater management and landscaping.
About the Process
Project projected timeline:
Public Process (2-3 months)
- Present and Discuss Conceptual Design Options
- Present Final Conceptual Design
- Finalize Drawings / Permitting (4-5 months)
- Bidding / Board Approval (2 months)
- Begin Construction (summer 2017)
- Completed Construction 1st Quarter 2019
- Park Open To Public March 23, 2019
Public meetings and community engagement
A community meeting to share a final conceptual design was held on September 15, 2016. Staff shared Conceptual Playground renderings. An overall conceptual rendering of the Fairlington Park Project can be viewed here.
On August 7 staff solicited additional input from the community, focusing primarily on the Fairlington Playground. See a meeting summary of the August 7 meeting here .
Here is a brief summary of suggestions made for consideration:
- Provide swings for 2-5 and 5-11 age groups
- Provide slides for the 2-5 age group
- Provide as large of a sand play area as possible, to include a water spigot and provisions for shade
- Provide Monkey Bars
- Maximize shade throughout the playground areas
- Provide lower platform play elements for the younger kids
- Provide an overview of the different types of proposed equipment online
On June 29 2016 staff discussed project timeline and shared conceptual drawings for the project with the public. See the Community Meeting Presentation here.
Staff solicited input from the community regarding Fairlington Park through an online survey and received 342 responses. Here is a summary of responses:
- Majority access the park off of S. Utah Street and from the parking lot
- Majority of kids are in the 2-5yr age group
- 2:1 in favor of keeping sand play in the playground
- Almost everyone wants increased seating, with preference given to the playground area
- Outdoor fitness equipment is rarely used (comments indicated that if the equipment was better, there would be greater use)
- Stretching, simple strength training, and high impact strength training are preferred types of exercise (many replied that they would check “all”, but that feature wasn’t working in the survey)
- Slight majority would like to be able to do a total-body workout using equipment that is similar to that of indoor fitness equipment
- The existing path is used frequently for exercise and most users would prefer to have a surface that provides greater spring-back, shock absorption, and stability
- Most everyone thinks that distance markers would be helpful / beneficial
- Majority are in favor of extending the exercise path around the playground, but not incorporating it into the playground
- Most everyone is “satisfied” with the current park facilities
- What they liked most about the park:
- Large open space / Convenient and easy to access / Playground
- Play field / Variety of features / Track and Pathways / Fitness equipment
- Restroom access / Farmer’s Market
Click the link below to see all responses.
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Maintenance Capital / Bond