Crystal Drive between 26th and 27th Streets South
The construction contract for the final phase of the Crystal Drive two-way conversion was approved by the County Board in September 2018. Construction started in February 2019 and is scheduled to last approximately 9 months.
Work is starting at the Route 1 and 27th Street intersection.
What to expect during construction:
- Work hours will be 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. The contractor has the option of Saturday work for the duration of the project.
- There are no complete road closures planned for the duration of construction. There will be temporary lane closures throughout construction, but at least one lane will remain open on both 27th Street and Crystal Drive.
- There will be periodic sidewalk closures during construction. Pedestrians should follow the detour signs and not enter active construction zones during these closures.
About the Project
The Crystal Drive Two-Way Conversion project is beginning to establish the street network needed to support future development and transit improvements planned by the Crystal City Sector Plan and Crystal City Multimodal Transportation Study. Upon completion, Crystal Drive will be a two-way street from South Potomac Avenue/27th Street South through 12th Street South.
Improvements for Phase 3 will include a loading area near the Hyatt Regency hotel, a new right-turn pocket for northbound Crystal Drive onto 26th Street, a bike lane on southbound Crystal Drive and sharrows on northbound Crystal Drive. 27th Street South will also be converted to two-way traffic from Crystal Drive to Route 1.
The intent of the project is to improve the navigability of Crystal City and improve safety for all modes of transportation. In addition to the street work, the project includes the installation of:
- New traffic signals
- Street trees
- Intersection upgrades to include ADA-compliant crosswalk markings and ramps
Prior phases completed in summer 2013:
- Phase 1: Crystal Drive from 12th Street South to 15th Street South, 14th Street South, and a portion of South Clark Street
- Phase 2: Crystal Drive from 23rd Street South to 26th Street South