Columbia Pike, from the Arlington/Fairfax County line on the west end to South Joyce Street on the east end
The following projects are in construction:
Construction is proceeding in phases and is expected to continue through the end of 2021.
The design of utility undergrounding and streetscape improvements is underway for these Columbia Pike segments:
- Wakefield Street to Oakland Street
- Garfield Street to Quinn Street
- Orme Street to Joyce Street
Final design is expected to be complete in summer 2019.
- Utility Undergrounding & Streetscape Improvements:
- Four Mile Run to Wakefield Street
- Oakland Street to Garfield Street
- Washington Boulevard Bridge over Columbia Pike (VDOT project)
About the Project
The goal of this project is to make Columbia Pike a safer, more accessible route for all users. Arlington is transforming this main thoroughfare into a complete street that balances all modes of travel and supports high-quality, high-frequency transit service. In addition to visible improvements to the road, extensive work is occurring below the roadway – to replace aging and leak-prone water and sewer pipes and to bury existing overhead utilities underground.
The Columbia Pike Multimodal Transportation Study completed an analysis of existing and future transportation conditions and developed a preliminary design for multimodal street improvements along Columbia Pike to ensure the corridor achieves an appropriate balance of travel options. The analysis examined alternatives with the following improvements:
- Modified street cross-section with reconfigured travel and transit lanes, medians, and left-turn lanes
- Signalized and un-signalized intersections
- On-street parking
- Areas to be readied for existing and future transit services, including concrete pads, wider sidewalks, curb, gutter and utility undergrounding
- Enhanced pedestrian crossings
- Landscaped median areas and street trees
- Parallel bike routes off of Columbia Pike to the north and south of the corridor (to provide alternate routes around lengths of Columbia Pike constrained by right-of-way)
Additional outreach is occurring for individual projects as they move into construction. For more information, visit the following project pages:
- Columbia Pike Bike Boulevards
- Columbia Pike - County Line to Four Mile Run
- Columbia Pike - Wakefield Street to Oakland Street
The following information is related to community outreach and public involvement for the overall Columbia Pike Multimodal Street Improvements project:
The $99 million project is funded with a combination of regional transportation funds and local commercial property taxes dedicated to transportation.