Columbia Pike from the Arlington/Fairfax County line to Four Mile Run (aka, the west end)
Fort Myer Construction, the County’s contractor for this project, received its Notice to Proceed on Feb. 20, 2018. Total project construction, including utility undergrounding and street improvements, is expected to last approximately three years, until early 2021.
What to expect during this project
- Work hours have been extended during weekdays until 9 pm, and additional work is expected on Saturdays and Sundays.
- There will be traffic disruptions and lane closures throughout the duration of this project.
- Around the work zone on Columbia Pike, at least one lane in each direction will remain open at all times.
- Left turn restrictions may be required - Do not drive through a work zone.
About the Project
This work is part of the Columbia Pike multimodal project that will make Columbia Pike a safer, more accessible route for all users. Arlington is transforming this main thoroughfare into a complete street that balances all modes of travel and supports high-quality, high-frequency transit service.
In addition to visible improvements to the road, extensive work will occur below the roadway – to replace aging and leak-prone water and sewer pipes and to bury existing overhead utilities underground.
Streetscape improvements will include the following enhancements and amenities:
- Wider sidewalks
- New street lights
- Upgraded traffic signals
- Street trees
The project also includes a work of public art for Arlington’s western gateway, near Columbia Pike and South Jefferson Street.
January 2020 construction open house
This open house provided information on two Columbia Pike projects that had entered new phases of construction: Multimodal and Transit Stations.
- View the open house display boards - in English or Spanish
- Summary of feedback we heard and County responses/actions
December 2019: Staff provided a project update to the County Board - View the presentation
Staff have also provided project updates to community organizations: