Columbia Pike from the Arlington/Fairfax County line to Four Mile Run (aka the west end)
Construction for utility undergrounding and remaining utility upgrades is anticipated to begin in fall 2017, with streetscape improvements to follow.
Adjacent improvements from Four Mile Run to South Wakefield Street were completed in summer 2015.
Pre-construction work underway
In April 2017, pre-construction work began with the relocation of the in-street gas main. Washington Gas is required to relocate their main prior to the County beginning construction on this project. The gas main relocation is expected to last until fall 2017.
What to expect:
- There will be traffic disruptions and lane closures while Washington Gas crews are in the street.
- Around the work zone on Columbia Pike, at least one lane in each direction will remain open at all times.
- Washington Gas will stage equipment and materials at several locations along Columbia Pike. Access to adjacent properties will remain open, but there may be turn restrictions into and out of the properties. Bus stops at these locations will be relocated or removed during construction.
- In addition to weekday work, weekend and night work are possible. Night work will be limited to intersections.
Work zone safety tips
- Please plan ahead and expect delays.
- Allow yourself extra time while the Washington Gas main work is being performed.
- Pay attention and obey all traffic control devices.
- Do not enter work zones as these areas are dangerous to pedestrians and drivers.
About the Project
This work is part of the Columbia Pike multimodal project that will make Columbia Pike a safer, more accessible route for all users. Arlington is transforming this main thoroughfare into a complete street that balances all modes of travel and supports high-quality, high-frequency transit service.
In addition to visible improvements to the road, extensive work will occur below the roadway – to replace aging and leak-prone water and sewer pipes and to bury existing overhead utilities underground.
The streetscape improvements portion of the project includes the following enhancements and amenities:
- Wider sidewalks
- New street lights
- Upgraded traffic signals
- Street trees
- Bus shelters
The project also includes a work of public art for Arlington’s western gateway, near Columbia Pike and South Jefferson Street.
In May and June 2017, staff from the project team and public art gave project updates to community stakeholders: