Intersection of Wilson, Clarendon and Washington Boulevards, commonly known as Clarendon Circle.
This project is adjacent to the Washington Boulevard & 13th Street N. Improvements project.
The construction contract for this project was approved at the June 16, 2018, County Board meeting. The contract was awarded to Ardent Construction Company.
The reconstruction of Clarendon Circle started in September 2018. Active construction for this project is expected to last one year.
What to expect during this project:
- There will be traffic disruptions in the form of travel lane and sidewalk closures throughout the duration of this project.
- Work hours will be 9 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday, during activities that require a temporary lane closure.
- Other activities may occur outside these hours, but this work will adhere to the requirements of Arlington’s Noise Ordinance. No weekend work is expected.
- Equipment and materials will be staged within the project area. County staff will work with stakeholders to minimize impacts to businesses and residents surrounding the project area.
About the Project
Clarendon Circle is being redesigned to improve access and safety for those who walk, bike and drive. Current travel across the intersection can be difficult due to its extreme width and the skewed alignment of its roadways. North Irving Street also enters the circle area in two offset locations, further complicating the traffic pattern.
Design analysis for this intersection was performed as part of the development of the Clarendon Sector Plan and the Clarendon Multimodal Transportation Study. The design analysis strongly suggests that roundabouts, one-way street couplets and other alternative designs would have negative impacts on all modes of transportation, especially for pedestrians, and recommends improving the intersection by normalizing the existing geometry as much as possible and reducing its size. Planned improvements will apply the Clarendon sector plan’s general design but will reduce the overall size of the intersection.
Project goals include:
- Reducing intersection size and tightening the intersection geometry
- Shortening pedestrian crossing distances and widening crosswalk areas
- Better aligning Washington Boulevard and Wilson Boulevard
- Upgrading traffic signals
- Installing new Carlyle streetlights
- Providing wider center medians at all crossings
- Closing North Irving Street next to Silver Diner, adding a green streets element
- Adding curb extensions at the Liberty Tavern corner
- Adding bike lanes to improve bike lane connections
- Planting new street trees
Project updates will continue to be shared with the Clarendon Alliance and neighborhood community groups.
- Clarendon Circle and Adjacent Improvements Update - January 2018
County staff held presentations on the study in 2012 and received public feedback from the Transportation Commission, civic associations and Clarendon Alliance. In addition, an online survey was conducted in 2012.
Funding from the County's Transportation Capital Fund is being used to administer, design and construct this project.