Countywide: Bus stop shelters throughout the County are in need of improvement and repair.
In FY 2018, the County has replaced nine shelters. Two more replacements are planned this fiscal year, in addition to five shelter repairs. Additional shelter repairs countywide are anticipated in summer 2018.
As part of this program, Arlington County’s Water Sewer Streets Division is also replacing and installing trash receptacles at bus stops throughout the County in FY 2018.
Upcoming bus stop improvements:
|Bus Stop ID #||Stop Location||Planned Work|
|6000107||Army Navy Drive @ 28th Road South||Shelter replacement|
|6000389||North Glebe Road & North Pershing Drive||Shelter repairs|
|6000390||North Glebe Road & North Pershing Drive||Shelter repairs|
|6000397||North Glebe Road & North Pershing Drive||Shelter repairs|
|6000403||North Glebe Road & North Pershing Drive||Shelter repairs|
|6000404||North Glebe Road & North Pershing Drive||Shelter repairs|
About the Project
The Bus Stop and Shelter Program is an ongoing effort aimed at enhancing the quality of Arlington County bus stops, with a specific focus on improving bus stop shelters. Through this program, the Transit Bureau replaces and repairs aging shelters, installs new shelters, and provides passenger amenities (e.g. benches, litter receptacles, customer information) at bus stops throughout the County.
The placement of shelters and amenities are determined by survey data, current bus route strategies noted in the Transit Development Plan, citizen input, and through coordination with other County-initiated transportation capital improvement projects. This program also includes the planning, designing and construction of new bus stops as the County adds or modifies bus routes.
- Complete 5-10 shelter replacements (for the vast majority of shelter replacements, the shelter bench is also replaced)
- Complete 3 new shelter installations (where ridership shows 40 or more boardings per day)
- Complete 5 new stand-alone bench installations (where ridership shows 10 or more boardings per day)
- Complete 3 litter receptacle installations (where ridership shows 25 or more boardings per day)
Recently completed shelter repairs:
- Lee Highway @ North Harrison Street (Stop ID # 6000721)
- South Arlington Mill Drive @ 28th Road South (Stop ID # 6000065)
- Pentagon City shelter bench repair
- Crystal City Station shelter bench repairs
Public comments and requests for bus stop and shelter repairs are welcomed. Report issues with bus stops or improvement suggestions to Arlington County Bus Stop Manager Diane Trent.
This program, included in the Arlington County Capital Improvement Plan, is funded by a mix of state and local sources.