1680 N Sycamore Street, Arlington, VA 22205
Design Process Begins: 1st Quarter 2018 (Completed)
Design Process Ends: 1st Quarter 2019 (Completed)
Construction Begins: 4th Quarter 2019 (Completed)
Construction Ends: 4th Quarter 2020 (Completed)
About the Project
The redesign of Benjamin Banneker Park Project includes:
- Upgrades to the picnic area with new seating, furnishings, canopy trees and native and adaptive habitat-and site friendly plantings.
- Expansion of the athletic multi-use field to the west t o capture the entire field’s length, allowing for rotation between use to restore the turf.
- Upgrades to the spectator seating.
- New playground upgrades for children ages 2-12 – play equipment highlights include an obstacle balance course, rock climbing and balancing feats to soaring play towers with sky-high slides.
- Enhancements to the existing dog park with new entrances and added dog structures for canine exploration.
- Newly resurfaced and restriped parking lot with enhanced connectivity and ADA access to the dog park, athletic fields and toward the trail with overall improved park accessibility and circulation between amenities. This includes the newly widened and restriped Washington & Old Dominion and Four Mile Run trails that run through the site, over Four Mile Run and into a new pathway configuration towards and around the playground.
The following park amenities are currently closed to the public:
- Playground sand pit
- No water service in the dog park or water fountains
About the Process
On September 8 an Overall Final Design walking presentation was held at Benjamin Banneker Park. Participants viewed several boards and illustrations while staff provided onsite context for proposed improvements in the areas of the parking lot, dog park, trail connections, playground and boundary marker areas. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here or in the image gallery.
On June 14 a Playground Design Meeting was held to discuss latest concept design. Participants viewed several image boards and shared thoughts on materials, layout, and accessibility. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here .
On May 2, 2018 staff held a dog park concept design meeting where a concept design and feature options were shared. Participants reviewed the concept design and turf selection. Participants also provided input on park features. Concept and features images are available in the image gallery. An online feedback loop that includes the concept design and features is available here.
On February 24, 2018, staff led an interactive design workshop that focused on gathering input for improvements to the Benjamin Banneker Park playground. During the workshop, participants looked at overall playground use, themes for consideration and offered input on play equipment and user experiences. Comments and suggestions will be used to inform the next stage in the playground design. A slide presentation, shown at the meeting can be viewed here.
Framework Plan Adopted by the County Board Dec. 16, 2017
- Dec. 16, 2017 Presentation, Framework Plan Report
- July 12, 2017 Presentation
- April 4, 2017 Presentation, Exhibit Boards
- Nov. 14, 2016 Presentation
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Capital Improvement Programs (Parks Maintenance Capital & Trail Modernization Program)