1680 N Sycamore Street, Arlington, VA 22205
Start Date: 1st Quarter 2018 (Design)
End Date: 4th Quarter 2018 (Design)
Start Date: 1st Quarter 2019 (Construction)
End Date: 4th Quarter 2019 (Construction)
About the Project
The Benjamin Banneker Park Project includes:
- Capital Maintenance replacement/renovations of existing park amenities, which include parking, circulation, dog park, athletic field and playground.
- Redesign and construct the segment of the Four Mile Run and W&OD multi-purpose trail that runs through the park.
- Development of overall park concepts to provide long-term planning guidance for the most recently acquired parcels along 18th Street North for incorporation into the park and related future improvements.
Van Buren Bridge Project
The Van Buren Bridge Project is a City of Falls Church project taking place adjacent to the park. Construction is scheduled to begin early October 2017 through Spring 2018. Bridge access will be closed during construction. For more information and project contacts, read the letter to residents or visit their project page here.
About the Process
On September 8 an Overall Final Design walking presentation was held at Benjamin Banneker Park . Participants viewed several boards and illustrations while staff provided onsite context for proposed improvements in the areas of the parking lot, dog park, trail connections, playground and boundary marker areas. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here or in the image gallery.
On June 14 a Playground Design Meeting was held to discuss latest concept design. Participants viewed several image boards and shared thoughts on materials, layout, and accessibility. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here .
On May 2, 2018 staff held a dog park concept design meeting where a concept design and feature options were shared. Participants reviewed the concept design and turf selection. Participants also provided input on park features. Concept and features images are available in the image gallery. An online feedback loop that includes the concept design and features is available here.
On February 24, 2018, staff led an interactive design workshop that focused on gathering input for improvements to the Benjamin Banneker Park playground. During the workshop, participants looked at overall playground use, themes for consideration and offered input on play equipment and user experiences. Comments and suggestions will be used to inform the next stage in the playground design. A slide presentation, shown at the meeting can be viewed here.
Framework Plan Adopted by the County Board Dec. 16, 2017
- Dec. 16, 2017 Presentation, Framework Plan Report
- July 12, 2017 Presentation
- April 4, 2017 Presentation, Exhibit Boards
- Nov. 14, 2016 Presentation
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Capital Improvement Programs (Parks Maintenance Capital & Trail Modernization Program)