ALERT: Benjamin Banneker Park is closed for construction from December 3, 2019 through 4th Quarter 2020. Parking will be restricted to facilitate construction. Look under “About the Project” for the latest updates on impacts to the W&OD Trail.
1680 N Sycamore Street, Arlington, VA 22205
Design Process Begins: 1st Quarter 2018 (Completed)
Design Process Ends: 1st Quarter 2019 (Completed)
Construction Begins: 4th Quarter 2019
Construction Ends: 4th Quarter 2020 (Estimate)
About the Project
The Benjamin Banneker Park Project includes:
- Capital Maintenance renovations of existing park amenities, which include parking, circulation, dog park, athletic field and playground.
- Renovating and construct the segment of the Four Mile Run and W&OD multi-purpose trail that runs through the park.
- Development of overall park concepts to provide long-term planning guidance for the most recently acquired parcels along 18th Street North for incorporation into the park and related future improvements.
W&OD Trail Updated:
The widening of the W&OD Trail through Benjamin Banneker Park has been completed and the trail will be opened in the East – West direction starting September 1, 2020. The temporary bicycle lane divider barriers on 19th Street N, through the N. Sycamore Street intersection, ground markings and all N. Sycamore Street directional signs will be removed except for a few (see full detour map). Please note the following;
- The Four Mile Run and W&OD trail within Benjamin Banneker Park will be open only in the East – West direction.
- There will be no access to the pedestrian bridge, W&OD trail spur or new walkways around the playground to 18th Street N.
- 4-way stops will remain at the intersection of 19th Street N and 19th Road N.
- There will be a detour sign at the intersection of 19th Street N and 19th Road N directing all pedestrians/bicyclists traffic towards the trail entrance at N Van Buren St.
- All pedestrian/bicyclist traffic to the W&OD Trail from N Van Buren Street will be directed to 19th Street N and 19th Road N.
About the Process
On September 8 an Overall Final Design walking presentation was held at Benjamin Banneker Park. Participants viewed several boards and illustrations while staff provided onsite context for proposed improvements in the areas of the parking lot, dog park, trail connections, playground and boundary marker areas. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here or in the image gallery.
On June 14 a Playground Design Meeting was held to discuss latest concept design. Participants viewed several image boards and shared thoughts on materials, layout, and accessibility. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here .
On May 2, 2018 staff held a dog park concept design meeting where a concept design and feature options were shared. Participants reviewed the concept design and turf selection. Participants also provided input on park features. Concept and features images are available in the image gallery. An online feedback loop that includes the concept design and features is available here.
On February 24, 2018, staff led an interactive design workshop that focused on gathering input for improvements to the Benjamin Banneker Park playground. During the workshop, participants looked at overall playground use, themes for consideration and offered input on play equipment and user experiences. Comments and suggestions will be used to inform the next stage in the playground design. A slide presentation, shown at the meeting can be viewed here.
Framework Plan Adopted by the County Board Dec. 16, 2017
- Dec. 16, 2017 Presentation, Framework Plan Report
- July 12, 2017 Presentation
- April 4, 2017 Presentation, Exhibit Boards
- Nov. 14, 2016 Presentation
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Capital Improvement Programs (Parks Maintenance Capital & Trail Modernization Program)