ALERT: Benjamin Banneker Park and the trail through it will close for construction December 3, 2019 through 3rd Quarter 2020. Parking will be restricted to facilitate construction. Construction will begin with a detour for pedestrian and bicycle traffic to N. Sycamore St. (view detour map) followed by closure of complete park amenities (parking lot, dog park, athletic field, multi-use trail and playground).
1680 N Sycamore Street, Arlington, VA 22205
Design Process Begins: 1st Quarter 2018
Design Process Ends: 1st Quarter 2019
Construction Begins: 4th Quarter 2019
Construction Ends: 3rd Quarter 2020 (Estimate)
About the Project
The Benjamin Banneker Park Project includes:
- Capital Maintenance renovations of existing park amenities, which include parking, circulation, dog park, athletic field and playground.
- Redesign and construct the segment of the Four Mile Run and W&OD multi-purpose trail that runs through the park.
- Development of overall park concepts to provide long-term planning guidance for the most recently acquired parcels along 18th Street North for incorporation into the park and related future improvements.
About the Process
On September 8 an Overall Final Design walking presentation was held at Benjamin Banneker Park. Participants viewed several boards and illustrations while staff provided onsite context for proposed improvements in the areas of the parking lot, dog park, trail connections, playground and boundary marker areas. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here or in the image gallery.
On June 14 a Playground Design Meeting was held to discuss latest concept design. Participants viewed several image boards and shared thoughts on materials, layout, and accessibility. Images shared at the meeting can be viewed here .
On May 2, 2018 staff held a dog park concept design meeting where a concept design and feature options were shared. Participants reviewed the concept design and turf selection. Participants also provided input on park features. Concept and features images are available in the image gallery. An online feedback loop that includes the concept design and features is available here.
On February 24, 2018, staff led an interactive design workshop that focused on gathering input for improvements to the Benjamin Banneker Park playground. During the workshop, participants looked at overall playground use, themes for consideration and offered input on play equipment and user experiences. Comments and suggestions will be used to inform the next stage in the playground design. A slide presentation, shown at the meeting can be viewed here.
Framework Plan Adopted by the County Board Dec. 16, 2017
- Dec. 16, 2017 Presentation, Framework Plan Report
- July 12, 2017 Presentation
- April 4, 2017 Presentation, Exhibit Boards
- Nov. 14, 2016 Presentation
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Capital Improvement Programs (Parks Maintenance Capital & Trail Modernization Program)