1680 N Sycamore Street, Arlington, VA 22205
Demolition Notice: County acquired parcels along 18th Street North will be undergoing asbestos removal prior to demolition. Asbestos removal will conform to all EPA, DEQ, and VA state requirements. The removal of asbestos is projected to end around April 20. Demolition of the properties will follow, with a projected start date in late May 2018.
Start Date: 1st Quarter 2018 (Design)
End Date: 3rd Quarter 2019 (Design)
About the Project
The Benjamin Banneker Park Project includes:
- Capital Maintenance replacement/renovations of existing park amenities, which include parking, circulation, dog park, athletic field and playground.
- Redesign and construct the segment of the Four Mile Run and W&OD multi-purpose trail that runs through the park.
- Development of overall park concepts to provide long-term planning guidance for the most recently acquired parcels along 18th Street North for incorporation into the park and related future improvements.
Van Buren Bridge Project
The Van Buren Bridge Project is a City of Falls Church project taking place adjacent to the park. Construction is scheduled to begin early October 2017 through Spring 2018. Bridge access will be closed during construction. For more information and project contacts, read the letter to residents or visit their project page here.
About the Process
A dog park workshop will be scheduled for May. Stay tuned.
On February 24, 2018, staff led an interactive design workshop that focused on gathering input for improvements to the Benjamin Banneker Park playground. During the workshop, participants looked at overall playground use, themes for consideration and offered input on play equipment and user experiences. Comments and suggestions will be used to inform the next stage in the playground design. A slide presentation, shown at the meeting can be viewed here. There is an online opportunity to share comments and suggestions below. Online comments will be accepted through March 15.
Framework Plan Adopted by the County Board Dec. 16, 2017
- Dec. 16, 2017 Presentation, Framework Plan Report
- July 12, 2017 Presentation
- April 4, 2017 Presentation, Exhibit Boards
- Nov. 14, 2016 Presentation
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Capital Improvement Programs (Parks Maintenance Capital & Trail Modernization Program)