Fairfax Drive and Interstate 66.
- Spring 2015 – Invasive plant treatment
- Winter/Spring 2016 – Finalizing easements
- Spring/Summer 2018 – Finalizing plans
- Fall 2018 – Construction Bid
- Spring/Summer 2019 – Construction
About the Project
The Ballston Pond was originally designed and constructed as a stormwater detention facility to collect and slow stormwater runoff from Interstate 66 when the highway was built. Over the years, the pond has been filling up with sediments deposited by stormwater runoff, which slows down when it reaches the pond. The Ballston Pond is no longer functioning as originally designed, and its water quality benefits are limited due to water flowing straight through the pond instead of taking a more circuitous route. In addition to invasive plants, trash is a continual issue.
Retrofitting the Ballston Pond is a high-priority project in the County’s Stormwater Management Program. This pond receives runoff from more than 300 acres of urban and suburban land, and represents the most feasible opportunity within Arlington for a larger regional stormwater management facility. Retrofitting the pond so it provides more water quality treatment helps the County comply with the municipal separate storm sewer system permit and contributes to restoring the Chesapeake Bay.
In fall of 2000, the pond was drained and the bottom surveyed to determine the pond’s remaining capacity. The survey data provided essential baseline information for a comprehensive study and redesign of the pond.
Project features include:
- A weir at the top of the pond that controls the water level in the pond.
- Trash control devices, allowing trash to be collected and removed.
- A deep water area in the middle of the current pond, and multiple small channels to allow water to flow throughout the wetland.
- Emergent, shrub and tree wetland vegetation areas.
- Native plants and invasive plant control.
- Wildlife components, including turtle basking stations.
- A new boardwalk on the eastern side of the pond.
- Interpretive signage.
|Nov. 13, 2012||NRECA Building, 4301 Wilson Blvd.|
|Oct. 27, 2011||NRECA Building, 4301 Wilson Blvd.|
|Oct. 18, 2011||Ballston Pond Restoration Advisory Group Meeting|
|June 13, 2011||NRECA Building, 4301 Wilson Blvd.|
|June 8, 2011||Ballston Pond Restoration Advisory Group Meeting|
|Feb. 24, 2011||NRECA Building, 4301 Wilson Blvd.|
|Jan. 22, 2011||Ballston Pond Restoration Advisory Group Meeting|