Arlington Boulevard at Irving Street
Construction started in fall 2017 and was completed in fall 2018.
Project Elements & Improvements
This project will improve access and safety for pedestrians, transit users, bicyclists and vehicle drivers at the intersection.
- Connection to trail south of intersection with 10’ wide ramps
- Traffic signal upgrade
- Provide ADA-compliant curb ramps
- Improve sidewalk connectivity
- Install high visibility crosswalks
- Install new bus facilities
- Remove street lighting utility poles
Signal and Striping Improvements
- Pedestrian pushbuttons
- Countdown pedestrian signals
- Technology to detect vehicles and cyclists in the roadway
- Marked turn lanes
- High emphasis crosswalks
- Double Carlyle lights
- Luminaires on mast arms
The project manager shared the design plans with the surrounding civic associations in winter 2016.
- Presentation: Irving Community Briefing - Winter 2016
Federal Highway Safety Improvements Program funds through VDOT, as well as Arlington County local funding.