3435 Eighth St. S.
Date: Built c. 1860
Historic Designation: Local Historic District, Oct. 3, 1978
Current Use of Property: Private residence
The original farmhouse structure is likely contained within the 1915-era house that exists on the property today. The ownership of as Alcova, which was formerly named Springhill Farm, has been traced to 1847.
The Alcova farmhouse is most noted as the home of former Virginia Senator Joseph Cloyd Byars. Byars named the house Alcova, drawing the first two letters from each word of Alexandria County, VA. In all, Byars bought more than 100 acres, which he subdivided into residential development lots that would later became the modern day Alcova Heights neighborhood.
Byars expanded the house with the assistance of Washington, DC architect Edward St. Cyr Barington. Renovations included the addition of tall white pillars, a wrought iron balcony, new paneling, mantels, flooring and shutters obtained from old Georgetown houses which were being demolished. Its present appearance reflects the Barrington remodeling.