901 South George Mason Drive
901 South George Mason Drive
2nd Quarter 2020 - Start Date for Phase I Construction (Projected)
2nd Quarter 2021 - End Date for Phase I Construction (Projected)
TBD - Start Date for Phase II Construction and Phase III Design and Construction.
About the Project
The scope of work for the first phase of the Alcova Heights Park project was refined based on the funding available from the FY2018 Parks Maintenance Capital Program. The final design is based on the community input received during the public engagement that took place from fall 2018 through spring 2019.
Specifically, Phase 1 includes the design and construction of:
- Replacing the large picnic shelter and site furnishings
- Improving the popular fire pit area
- Replacing and improving the site circulation system
- Replacing and adding access to the sand volleyball court
- Providing a new stairway entrance to the park at the north end from S. George Mason Drive
- Addressing stormwater management, improving drainage and addressing erosion concern along sections of Doctor’s Run as well as in the open picnic areas
- Improving the sidewalk and pedestrian crossing at 8th Street S
Construction on Phase 1 will begin 2nd quarter of 2020. The park area south of 8th Street S will remain open at during this time.
During the public engagement period, DPR also gathered community input and shared final designs for improvements for the restroom renovation; replacement of the lighted basketball court; a new southern connection to S. George Mason Drive; improved site circulation and stormwater management on the south side of 8th Street S west of Doctors Run. This is now called Phase 2 and will begin when funding is approved. Funding will be sought during the upcoming Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) process.
Phase 3 of the project is to replace the playground, diamond field and pedestrian bridge and address site circulation and stormwater improvements on the east side of Doctors Run. Phase 3 is currently unfunded and can be considered in an upcoming CIP.
About the Process
The Department of Parks and Recreation would like to thank everybody who participated in the Public Engagement process of the project. The DPR team will now prepare the project for permitting and bidding. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- An Open House was held during Arlington Palooza on Saturday, April 13, 2019. Staff shared final concept design images and answered questions. Participants shared their impressions of the design and provided feedback on park amenities. An estimated 2,000 people attended the event with 100 people viewing the project drawings and information. See the minutes from the April 13 meeting.
- Minutes from the Feb. 21 Public Meeting.
- Minutes form the Sept. 18 and 29 Kickoff meetings.
- Alcova Heights Park project existing conditions map.
Final Design Feedback
Sign Up to Receive Updates on this Project
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed on upcoming meetings and next steps.
Phase I: Parks Capital Maintenance Approved
Phase II: Parks Capital Maintenance TBD
Phase III: Parks Capital Maintenance TBD