9th Street South from S Buchanan Street to the Washington & Old Dominion (W & O D) Trail (Barcroft Neighborhood)
About the Project
- Completion of missing concrete curb, gutter and sidewalk along the south side of the street.
- New concrete sidewalk width will vary from 4’ to 5’, depending on where sidewalk narrowing is needed to protect the roots of adjacent mature, healthy trees.
- Street width will be narrowed in some areas to 30’-0” from the existing 36’-0” where concrete curb and gutter exists on both sides of the street, to minimize impacts to adjacent mature, healthy trees.
- On street parking will be retained on both sides, except where prohibited by the County’s traffic ordinance.
- Minimal disturbance to the area within County DES, DPR and NVRPA land ownership.
- County standard LED Carlyle-streetlights to be installed along 9th Street S.
- Some existing invasive plant species removal with tree replacement and/or enhancement, as determined by County DPR and NC staff Landscape Architects and Foresters.
- Signage and striping improvements at S Buchanan St, the 9th Street S dead end and at the W & O D Trail.
- Stormwater drainage improvements will be made to existing facilities, especially at the trail connector from the dead end of 9th St S to the W&OD Trail.
- Asphalt street milling and paving and full depth roadway reconstruction, as needed.