23rd Street South between South Eads Street and Crystal Drive
This project will be constructed in two phases:
- Phase 1 is between Route 1 and South Eads Street
- Phase 2 is from Crystal Drive to Route 1, including the intersection at Route 1
About the Project
Phase 1 will widen the sidewalk and retail parking areas on the south side of 23rd Street. Lane widths will be reduced, but the number of travel lanes will remain the same as today.
Phase 2 will be triggered by redevelopment along the north portion of 23rd Street South. The project will realign the roadway to eliminate the wide median island so that the building pad sites on the north portion of 23rd Street South can be built in accordance with the Crystal City Sector Plan.
In spring 2018, County staff briefed the following commissions and civic associations on the project's status and removal of the pedestrian tunnel:
- May 9, 2018: Aurora Highlands Civic Association
- May 15, 2018: Disability Advisory Commission
- May 31, 2018: Transportation Commission
- June 13, 2018: Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- June 14, 2018: Crystal City Citizen Review Council (CCCRC)
View the 23rd Street Tunnel Presentation.
In summer 2018, staff solicited feedback regarding the demolition and removal of the tunnel underneath Route 1. Many members of the community agreed that the tunnel should be removed due to safety issues and the facility's lack of accessibility.