Address: 2221 S. Clark St. and 2231 Richmond Highway (Route 1)
Crystal Plaza 6 is located in Crystal City on the southwest corner of the block generally bounded by 20th Street to the north, Crystal Drive to the east, 23rd Street to the south and South Clark Street and Richmond Highway (Route 1) to the west.
Check building permit status.
About the Project
In July 2014, the County Board approved a site plan amendment to 2221 S. Clark St. (Crystal Plaza 6) to permit conversion of the 12 story, 1960s office building to a multifamily residential building with ground floor retail. A site plan amendment filed with the Arlington County Zoning Department in February 2015 by Vornado/Charles E. Smith requests that two floors of the residential building be permitted for use as office as “We Work”.
With the February 2015 amendment, with the exception of permitting two floors for office use, the building would remain as approved in July 2014. This would include a paint application to the exterior of the building along with modest landscape and streetscape improvements adjacent to the site. As proposed, the mixed use building would incorporate the concept of “We Work”, which provides flexible, shared work spaces alongside collaborative environments, with residential. The residential concept’s floor plan connects primarily small, efficiency units to common spaces between floors. The requested amendment furthers the sharing of ideas and space between and among working, living and shopping in a single building
- 127,568 square feet residential (216 units)
- 24,960 square feet office
- 5,848 square feet for retail
- 156 existing parking spaces to remain as-is for residential, office and retail use
- June 2014: Major Site Plan Amendment
- July 19, 2014 - County Board: Agenda (Item #46) | Board Report | Attachment | Supplemental Report | Supplemental Report #2 | Planning Commission Letter | Letter from the Public | Meeting Minutes (Item #46)