Addresses: 1800 S. Bell St, 1801 S. Bell St, 1901 S. Bell St, 1999 Richmond Highway (U.S. Route 1) and 1851 S. Bell St (1900 Crystal Drive).
The new site plan area of 158,767 sq. ft. (3.64 acres) is bounded by 18th Street South to the north, Crystal Drive to the east, 20th Street South to the south, and South Bell Street to the west.
This project was approved by the County Board on March 21, 2020.
Check building permit status.
About the Project
CESC Mall Land LLC (“the applicant”) proposes to remove site area from Site Plan #56, rezone portions of the property from the C-O to the C-O-Crystal City district, and construct two new mixed-use towers and interior, “mid-block” ground-level retail under a new Site Plan (SP #421).
Additional details include:
- Total density of 5.92 FAR (828,306 sq. ft. GFA)
- 788,416 sq. ft. of residential (811 units total)
- 39,890 sq. ft. of retail
- 2 residential towers, with ground floor retail
- South Tower (472 units; 27 stories)
- North Tower (339 units; 26 stories)
- New interior connections
- Ground-level mid-block retail
- 1,535 parking spaces (entire block)
- 289 new residential spaces (0.36 per unit)
- 350 shared spaces (between SP #56 and SP #421)
- Additional density (1.12 FAR) for:
- Center Park easement
- Center Park planning contribution
- Community facility space
- Affordable housing
- LEED Silver certification
- 4.1 Site Plan Resubmission - Planning Commission (March 9, 2020)
- 4.1 Site Plan application (July 3, 2019):
- Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP) Application (January 2020):
Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC)
- Sep. 19, 2019 - Agenda | Staff Presentation | Applicant Presentation | LRPC Report on Block J-K
- Dec. 19, 2019 (wrap-up) - see SPRC #3 materials below
Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC)
- SPRC #1 (Oct. 29, 2019) - Agenda and Staff Report | Staff Presentation |Applicant Presentation | Meeting Summary
- SPRC #2 (Nov. 14, 2019) - Agenda and Staff Report | Applicant Presentation | Walking Tour Map | Consolidated Public Correspondence | Meeting Summary
- SPRC #3 (Dec. 19, 2019) - Agenda and Staff Report | Staff Presentation | Applicant Presentation | Staff Presentation (LRPC / J-K Block) | Meeting Summary
Phased Development Site Plan - Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC)
- Crystal City Sector Plan
- Crystal City - Planning At A Glance
- Original J-K Block Plan
- Expired Site Plan (SP #421)
- Conceptual Site Plan Review Memo (Feb. 2017)
- Note: This is a staff review of the applicant's Concept Plan, which does not include the detail of a 4.1 Site Plan. Issues raised by staff in the Concept Plan review may have been resolved prior to the 4.1 application.