County leadership and staff have championed an ambitious enterprise-wide initiative to make it easier to do business with Arlington County Government — focused on permitting processes.
The initiative grew from the combined efforts of multiple departments focused on working smarter and better. We recognize the need to transform the way we do work, break down silos between departments, and look at County processes with a fresh perspective.
This is also a culture shift in how we do our work. Under One-Stop Arlington, we aim to:
- Streamline business processes.
- Enhance technology and communication tools.
- Increase transparency and accountability.
- Deliver excellent customer service.
Projects across the County are being established with these common goals and all staff, from senior management to line level employees, will be supporting them. This is a culture shift that transforms the way we do our work. By attaining these goals, the County as an employer will be able to attract top notch employees and maintain our competitive edge in the marketplace as part of Arlington’s economic development strategy.
We have already achieved a number of successes, and more projects are underway. All of this work involves cross-departmental teams, who are working together collaboratively to achieve results. For example:
- Easier permitting processes: This is a major project, involving multiple departments, new system expected in 2017. View the results of our survey asking the public for their feedback on the permitting process.
- Easier for staff: A multi-department team is looking at ways we can better support our increasingly-mobile workforce, equipping them to be more helpful to customers, with more flexible business hours.
- Easier plan filing: The County launched ePlan Review so customers can submit plans and construction documents for all building permits electronically. an interim solution while the County implements a new building permitting system, (2016)
- Easier info on-the-go: The My Arlington App makes it easy to look up information on nearby meetings, permitting information, real estate transactions, real-time traffic data, voting maps and info, an easy-to-use County staff directory. (2016)
- More streamlined testing: Arlington County Fire Department (ACFD) rolled out a more streamlined fire systems testing program. (2016)
- Consolidated event calendar: The new Arlington Today online calendar makes it easier to find a meeting, a fitness class, a performance event — with the ability to filter, browse and search. It’s also mobile-friendly and integrated into our MyArlington mobile app. (2015)
- Easier payments: Customers can pay for building permit fees on the 10th Fl without having to go to multiple floors. (2015)
- Better access to documents: Customers can view and download past permits, site plans and a host of other documents at the Digital Resource Library on the 10th floor of Courthouse Plaza (2100 Clarendon Blvd). ( 2015)
- Real-time wait times: Our Building Arlington website includes real-time information on how many customers are in line for in person service at our permitting offices. (2015)
- Easier to e-subscribe: We have a new enterprise tool that provides a one-stop way for people to subscribe to the many e-newsletters. (2015)
- Consolidated services: Combined all Human Services offices, clinics and functions in one location, the Human Services Center (2015).
- Easier reporting of problems: Implemented an easy way for people to report problems and make requests for a wide variety of County services — the “Report a Problem” website and mobile app. (2014)