2018 Pilot Projects
Evaluation of the 2017 NCS problem street nominations was delayed due to a backlog for traffic studies (to measure vehicle speed and volume). In the interest of providing needed safety enhancements on neighborhood streets, the Neighborhood Complete Streets Commission selected three pilot projects to pursue while evaluating the remaining problem street locations.
- North Buchanan Street at 13th Street North and 14th Street North (Waycroft Woodlawn)
- 6th Street North at Edison Street North and Emerson Street North (Bluemont)
- 6th Street South at South Adams Street (Penrose)
The three projects involve improvements to problem intersections (where vehicle crashes have happened) in locations with bicycle or transit routes and other pedestrian generators nearby. These projects ranked high on the NCS project list based on available data. Limitations to scope, schedule and budget were considerations in the selection of the three pilot projects.
2019 Pilot Projects
In 2019, the Neighborhood Complete Streets Program selected three additional pilot projects to pursue while continuing the process of collecting speed data to support the first application process. The three pilot projects are:
- 13th Street South between South Walter Reed Drive and South Glebe Road (Douglas Park)
- South Frederick Street between George Mason Drive and Columbia Pike (Columbia Forest)
- North Stafford Street between 15th Street North and Lee Highway (Cherrydale)
Similar to the 2018 pilot projects, these projects involve improvements to problem intersections or corridors, in locations with bicycle or transit routes and other pedestrian generators nearby.
2019 Recommended Projects
Since completing the traffic studies, scoring and ranking the list of nominated streets locations, we anticipate that the NCS Commission will select projects in late summer-early fall 2019 to recommend for funding by the County Board.