The Vehicle Decal Fee Program funds four project areas: Complete streets, technology enhancements, regulatory and destination signage, and Capital Bikeshare installations.
Complete streets candidate project segments are identified based on the following criteria:
- Arlington controlled arterial streets
- Limited or no utility relocations required
- Known crash histories
- Significant risk exposure to pedestrians or bikers
- High pedestrian and/or cyclist volumes
- Existing transit service
- Ability to implement mostly or entirely within the available right of way
- Limited need for traffic modeling
- Location not eligible for transportation capital funds
- Location not subject to near-term redevelopment
Funding is used to expand the automated pedestrian and bike counting stations to increase the total to about 20 trail and street- and sidewalk-based counters at key locations throughout Arlington. Other technology enhancements include incorporating push buttons and detection devices for bikes at signalized locations, speed indicators and pedestrian crossing beacons. These efforts improve safety for bikers and pedestrians.
Regulatory & Destination Signage
This ongoing funding commitment is meant to incrementally implement the County’s new bike and pedestrian wayfinding system along major trails and street corridors and their important links.
Funding pays for the purchase of new bikes and equipment and for Capital Bikeshare station installation, and is intended to leverage matching funds from area business improvement districts and from private developers and businesses.