Site Plan Review Projects
Site plans are significant private and public-private projects limited to specific parcels. These plans are regulated by Administrative Regulation 4.1 policy. Those that request special exceptions to the County’s land use and zoning policies are carefully reviewed through a process that ensures proper analysis, public engagement and compliance with applicable policies and ordinances.
Conceptual Site Plan Applications
Prospective applicants are encouraged to submit an application form with supporting documentation, as well as all required fees, requesting review by County staff of a conceptual site plan for proposed development (See Attachment Q). The purpose of the Conceptual Site Plan Review is to allow prospective applicants who are in the initial phase of developing a site plan proposal to discuss potential development applications with a core interdepartmental team of Arlington County staff prior to the submission of a preliminary application.
Preliminary Development Proposals
Preliminary development proposals are in the earliest stages of the site plan process. During this stage, staff review draft applications to ensure that they meet technical filing requirements. At the preliminary stage, official plan sets are held by the Zoning Division and can be reviewed in person. Developers are also encouraged to present the proposed development to the affected civic associations and neighbors to identify potential issues.
- 1820 Fort Myer Drive – Ames Center
- 1400 S. Joyce St. – RiverHouse
- 523 24th St. S. – 24th Street Duplex
- 1200 N. Courthouse Road – Park Arlington at Courthouse
- 1731 N. Veitch St. – Colonial Village Townhomes
- 601-701 S. 12th St. – TSA
- 2134 N. Taylor St. – Artis Senior Living
Active Site Plan Applications
Active site plans have submitted formal applications for approval and are in various stages of the review process. In addition to internal reviews with staff, plans will be reviewed by the Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC) prior to being presented at public hearings before both the Planning Commission and the County Board. They are subject to change until the County Board approves the final plan. Refer to individual site plan pages for the current status of each project.
- 1851 S. Bell St. – 1900 Crystal Drive
- 1400 S. Eads St. / 501 15th St. S. – Met Park Phases 6-8
- 1401 Lee Highway – Key Bridge Marriott
- 400 11th St. – Verizon Site
- 1900 S. Eads St. – Crystal Houses
- 1900 Fort Myer Drive – Holiday Inn
- 600 N. Glebe Road – Harris Teeter Site
Approved Site Plans
On-Hold and Expired Site Plans
- On-Hold and Expired Site Plans
- 1901 N. Moore St. (RCA Site) (On-Hold, Indefinite Deferral)
- 2101 & 2201 Crystal Drive – Crystal Parks (On Hold)
- RiverHouse – Additional Info (On Hold)
- 223 23rd St. and Crystal City Block M (On Hold)
- Key Boulevard Apartments (On Hold, Indefinite Deferral)
- Park Shirlington (On Hold)
- Shreve Apartments (On Hold, Not Withdrawn)
- 1900 Crystal Drive (Expired)
- PenPlace Phase I (On Hold)
Development Use Permits
The Zoning Ordinance distinguishes between uses permitted “by-right” and uses allowed by “special exception.” The use permit is one form of special exception. For private development, it applies to:
- Unified Commercial Mixed Use Development (UCMUD), which allows residential units within in certain commercial zoning districts as part of mixed-use development; and
- Unified Residential Development, which promotes the compatibility of single-family residential developments with surrounding neighborhoods.
- Form Based Code Review Projects, redevelopment within Columbia Pike’s Special Revitalization Districts and regulated by the Commercial Form Based Code and Neighborhoods Form Based Code.
Administrative Change Requests
An administrative change is any minor modification of an approved site plan or use permit which complies with the spirit of this Code, the intent of the County Board in its approval of the site plan or use permit, and the general purpose of the comprehensive plan for the development of the area.
- Apply for an Administrative Change Request