The Zoning Ordinance contains the land-use regulations for all land in the County. It defines legal rights and constraints regarding land use, and regulates use, size and coverage of lots, height, bulk and siting of buildings, parking requirements and density of development for each parcel of land.
Zoning Studies Underway
Sign area for projects with retail.
This study was prompted by several issues articulated by the development community, the Economic Development Commission, Chamber of Commerce and the County’s BIDs and Partnerships, which included, among other requests, the following: Consider revising the calculation of aggregate sign area to account for properties that include retail facing plazas and retail on the second story. Sign area in commercial/mixed-use zoning districts, is allocated to properties based on the amount of linear building frontage, allowing 1 sf of sign area for each foot of linear building frontage (plus additional sign area for tenants with less than 60 feet of frontage), measured as a straight line from one corner of the building to the next corner, not accounting for offsets, such as plazas. Additionally, although retail uses may be the largest users of signs on a mixed-use building, retail storefronts on the second story are not allocated additional sign area. This proposed amendment would consider revising the formula for calculating allowed sign area in commercial/mixed-use districts to account for configuration of retail on the property, specifically when facing public plazas and/or when located on the second story.
- May 20, 2017: Zoning text advertised by County Board
- May 20, 2017: Request to Advertise presentation to County Board
- May 20, 2017: Request to Advertise staff report
- April 21, 2017: Staff memorandum to ZOCO
- March 29, 2017: Overview presentation – preliminary proposal
- March 13, 2017: Staff memorandum to ZOCO
Outreach and public hearing schedule:
- June 17, 2017: County Board final consideration
- June 5, 2017: Planning Commission final consideration and recommendation
- May 20, 2017: County Board Request to Advertise
- April 26, 2017: ZOCO
- March 29, 2017: ZOCO