Thomas Jefferson (TJ) Site Evaluation
The Thomas Jefferson Working Group has released their final report. View the documents:
The Thomas Jefferson (TJ) Site Evaluation was a five-month study led by the County’s Planning Division and a community working group that considered the feasibility of building a new elementary school at the TJ Site.
In response to increased demands for more seats in schools, the School Board identified Thomas Jefferson as a preferred site in the Arlington Public Schools Capital Improvement Plan in June 2014. To consider the use of the County-owned land parcel, the County Board adopted a TJ Working Group Charge and appointed members to the group in September. The TJ Working Group brings together community members, Schools and County staff for a robust dialogue about the future of this site. County Board member Mary Hynes and School Board Vice Chair Dr. Emma Violand-Sanchez are liaisons for the study.
The TJ Working Group began meeting in September and will present specific recommendations to the County Board on January 24, 2015. County goals identified for the site include:
- Retain the current wooded eastern end of “TJ Park” as is (area along the western portion of
South Irving Street and stretching west along Arlington Blvd)
- Ensure no significant loss of green space and no net loss of recreational programming,
including 2 full size rectangular fields and other amenities outlined in the study area
- Maintain a cohesive park
- Ensure adequate consideration given to neighborhood impacts of traffic and parking
- Enhance safety on existing pedestrian walkways and bikeways
- Ensure that the community center would remain available for use
- Ensure that building massing is compatible with adjacent neighborhood
The Study Area, located within the boundary of the Arlington Heights Civic Association, currently includes TJ Middle School, a community garden, Thomas Jefferson Community Center and Park, surface parking lots, open space, playgrounds and multiple recreational fields and courts. The site is also home to the annual Arlington County Fair.
All project documents related to the TJ Site Evaluation process will be posted to this site.