Land use plans and studies are supporting documents to the Comprehensive Plan and define special planning areas that are guided by place-specific studies. These documents typically contain recommendations on elements such as land use, public space, building design, transportation, historic preservation, community revitalization and retail. Plans and studies use varying levels of public engagement throughout their process and many are ultimately adopted by the County Board.
- Sector Plans guide the vision and future development of Metro Station Areas.
- Area Plans are similar to sector plans but are typically smaller in geographic boundaries and are located within and outside of Metro Station Areas.
- Revitalization Plans offer recommendations for economic and incentive tools for places in need of redevelopment.
- Zoning Studies review updates and amendments to land-use regulations in the Zoning Ordinance.
- Special GLUP Studies are needed in instances where there is no adopted plan, or where a General Land Use Plan (GLUP) amendment request is inconsistent with the guidance of a relevant adopted plan.
- Neighborhood Conservation Plans are initiated by community members and identify a neighborhood vision and improvement projects. View NC Plans here.
- Site Plans are significant private and public-private development projects limited to specific parcels. Those that request special exceptions to the County’s land use and zoning policies are carefully reviewed through a site plan process. View site plans/private development here.
- Block Plans are tools used to provide further development guidance to a block as a whole. In Arlington, these are used in Crystal City when rezoning commercial areas to “C-O Crystal City”.
- Other studies are conducted as needed and as guided by the County Board.
Plans & Studies in Progress
- Lee Highway Planning
- Lubber Run Community Center Visioning
- Public Spaces Master Plan Update (PSMP)
- Special GLUP Studies in progress
- Zoning Studies in progress
Recently Completed Studies
- Approved Zoning Ordinance Amendments
- Arlington Community Facilities Study
- Envision Courthouse Square
- Realize Rosslyn
- Recently Completed Special GLUP Studies
- Thomas Jefferson Site Evaluation
- Western Rosslyn Area Plan
- Zoning Ordinance Update
Special Implementation Areas
Planning Resource Library
- The Planning Resource Library is a collection of presentations on a wide variety of planning, zoning and related topics.
- Ballston Sector Plan (1980)
- Ballston Sector Plan Summary
- Clarendon Sector Plan (2006)
- Courthouse Sector Plan Addendum (1993)
- Courthouse Sector Plan Addendum: Courthouse Square (2015)
- Crystal City Sector Plan (2010)
- Rosslyn Station Area Plan Addendum (1992)
- Rosslyn Sector Plan (2015)
- Virginia Square Sector Plan (2002)
- Virginia Square Sector Plan – Site Specific Guidelines (2002)
- Columbia Pike Neighborhoods Area Plan (2012)
- East Clarendon – Special Coordinated Mixed Use District Plan (1994)
- East Falls Church Area Plan (2011)
- Fort Myer Heights North Plan (2008)
- Four Mile Run Valley Area Plan (2018)
- North Quincy Street Plan (1995)
- North Quincy Street Plan Addendum (2013)
- North Tract Plan Area Study (2004)
- Rosslyn to Courthouse Urban Design Study (2003)
- Western Rosslyn Area Plan (2015)
- Columbia Pike Initiative – A Revitalization Plan (2005 Update)
- Lee Highway Cherrydale Revitalization Plan (1994)
- Nauck Village Center Action Plan (2004)
Neighborhood Conservation Plans
- Arlington has almost 50 neighborhood conservation plans. View the individual neighborhood plans.
Special Land Use Studies
- Arlington County Retail Plan (2015)
- Consolidated Plan (2010)
- Community Facilities Study Final Report (2015)
- General Land Use Plan (GLUP) Studies
- Historic Resources Inventory Phase I (2011)
- Industrial Land Use and Zoning Study (2000)
- Metropolitan Park Design Guidelines (2004)
- Pentagon Centre Site Guiding Principles (2008)
- Pentagon Centre PDSP Design Guidelines (2008)
- Pentagon City PDSP Historical Report – 1976-2018 (2018): Part 1 | Part 2
- Pentagon City Master Development Plan (1976)
- Pentagon City Planning Task Force Report (1997)
- Potomac Yards Design Guidelines (2000)
- Public Land for Public Good
- Public Land Site Evaluation
- R-B Corridor – Streetscape Standards (2007 Update)
- Shirlington Design Book (2000)
- Thomas Jefferson Site Evaluation Final Report (2015)
- The Village of Shirlington – History and Density (2018) | Webpage
- Courthouse Sector Plan (1981)
- Courthouse Sector Plan Summary
- Clarendon Sector Plan (1984)
- RB72: Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor Alternative Land Use Patterns
- R-B Corridor – Early Visions
- R-B Corridor – Mid-Course Review
- R-B Corridor – Retail Action Plan (2001)
- Rosslyn Transit Station Area Study (1977)
- Virginia Square Sector Plan (1983)
Visit the Housing website to review housing plans and studies.