Following the July 25 Long Range Planning Committee meeting, staff has been processing the latest input on the draft Special GLUP Study Plus document and associated preliminary General Land Use Plan implementation options. In response to this input, and additional considerations, staff is revising the document in advance of full review by the Planning Commission and County Board.
At this time, staff anticipates advancing a “Request to Advertise” public hearings in October 2017 for the revised Washington Boulevard and Kirkwood Road Special GLUP Study Plus document and associated potential GLUP recommendations. If authorized by the County Board, staff anticipates bringing forward final recommendations for further Planning Commission consideration and County Board action in November 2017. Please subscribe to the project listserv (if not already) or check back regularly with this web page for more specific schedule updates in the future.
GLUP Amendment Change
Three General Land Use Plan (GLUP) amendment requests have been submitted to change the land use designations of several parcels near the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Kirkwood Road. Eleventh Street Development, LLC submitted an application for an assemblage of land parcels fronting Washington Blvd. and Kirkwood Road to change the GLUP designation from “Service Commercial” to “Medium” Office-Apartment-Hotel with an associated rezoning from “C-2” to “C-O-2.5.” The YMCA of Metropolitan Washington submitted an application for properties associated with its Arlington Campus, fronting 13th Street North and Kirkwood Road, to change the GLUP designation from “Semi-Public” to “Medium” Residential. No associated rezoning has been requested at this time for this site. The American Legion submitted an application for its property at 3445 Washington Boulevard to change the GLUP designation from “Service Commercial” to “Medium” Office-Apartment-Hotel with an associated rezoning from “C-2” to “C-O-2.5.”
GLUP Amendment Application Subject Sites Characteristics
|Eleventh Street Development, LLC Site||YMCA of Washington Site||American Legion / APAH Site|
|Property Address||3415 and 3421 Washington Blvd. and 1122 N. Kirkwood Road||3400, 3422 and 3444 13th St. N.||3445 Washington Blvd.|
|RPC #s||15-086-002, -005, -006, -025||15-086-022, -023, -024||15-086-011|
|Site Area||68,842 sq. ft. (1.58 acres)||191,415 sq. ft. (4.39 acres)||56,092 sq. ft. (1.29 acres)|
|Current GLUP Designation||“Service Commercial” (Personal and Business Services. Generally one to four stories.)||“Semi-Public” (Country clubs and semi-public recreational facilities. Churches, private schools and private cemeteries.)||“Service Commercial” (Personal and Business Services. Generally, one to four stories) and “Semi-Public”|
|Proposed GLUP Designation||“Medium” Office-Apartment-Hotel (Up to 2.5 FAR Office; up to 115 units/acre Residential; up to 180 units/acre Hotel)||“Medium” Residential (Up to 37-72 units per acre)||“Medium” Office-Apartment-Hotel (Up to 2.5 FAR Office; up to 115 units/acre Residential; up to 180 units/acre Hotel)|
|Current Zoning||“C-2” Service Commercial-Community Business District||“R-5” One-Family and Restricted Two-Family Dwelling District||“C-2” Service Commercial-Community Business District and “R-5” One-Family and Restricted Two-Family Dwelling District|
|Proposed Zoning||“C-O-2.5” Mixed-Use District||Not specified||“C-O-2.5” Mixed-Use District|
|Conceptual Development Program||Approximately 220 multifamily residential units in a six-story building, with a two-level underground parking garage as well as private open space and amenities||New community and athletic facility of up to 100,000 sq. ft., as well as new residential uses of up to 72 dwelling units per acre||An affordable housing project of approximately 161 multifamily residential units, with 8,000 sq. ft. of ground floor space for an American Legion Post 139 facility|
Several parcels just outside of the Virginia Square Metro Station Area, located northwest of the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Kirkwood Road (see above map).
Scope of Study
This study will analyze the site in the context of the surrounding area and obtain feedback from the LRPC on the appropriateness of the requested changes. The preliminary scope of the study includes the following:
- History of GLUP and Zoning designations for the subject site and surrounding area
- Existing GLUP and Zoning designations for the subject site and surrounding area
- Existing environmental and topographical features, land uses, densities, building heights for study site and surrounding area
- Recommendations of County plans and policies, as applicable
- Allowable uses, densities, building heights, etc. for required GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- Three-dimensional computer modeling of the study site’s existing conditions, various scenarios reflecting requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- Preliminary transportation analysis for the study site and surrounding area, including recommendations for improvements such as new streets and walkways, etc.
- Parks, open space and recreation considerations, as appropriate
- Identification of any historic preservation issues requiring further due diligence related to the abutting Ball Family Burial Ground, such as delineating the cemetery’s exact boundaries and potential impacts to access
- July 25, 2017 – LRPC Meeting: Updated Meeting Notice/Agenda | Staff Presentation | Draft W/K Special GLUP Study Plus document |Written Comments Received since May 18 | Meeting Summary |
- May 18, 2017 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation |Written Comments Received since Feb. 21 | Meeting Summary |
- May 1, 2017 – Study Walking Tour/Open House UPDATED Notice | Open House: Board Set #1 | Board Set #2 | Blank Comment Card |
- Feb. 21, 2017 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda |Staff Presentation | Model Views Comparison | GLUP Scenario Summary | Written Comments Received | 1975 Lynbrook/YMCA Agreement | Meeting Summary |
- Dec. 20, 2016 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation | 12/20/16 Staff Memo | Meeting Summary |
- Oct. 20, 2016 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Draft Study Process and Scoping Document | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary | Staff Memo to LRPC RE Follow-up to Meeting #1 |