Take this online survey on potential changes to allowable densities and building heights in the Village at Shirlington. Open until Dec. 10, 2019!
In December 2017, Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRIT) submitted to the Arlington County Zoning Office a formal application for a Special General Land Use Plan (GLUP) Study for a 5.45 acre area which includes the cinema real estate tax parcel and roughly half of the 8.43 acre Parcel 2 located within the Shirlington Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP) #106. The subject area is currently designated “Low” Office-Apartment-Hotel (up to 1.5 FAR for office, up to 72 units/acre for residential, up to 110 units/acre for hotel) and zoned C-O-1.5 Mixed Use District. The subject properties of the GLUP amendment request are currently occupied by a cinema, retail and office development, as well as a surface parking lot. The applicant is requesting a GLUP amendment to “Medium” Office-Apartment Hotel (up to 2.5 FAR for office, up to 115 units/acre for residential, up to 180 units/acre for hotel) and a rezoning to C-O-2.5 Mixed Use District. The applicant is contemplating a future residential use redevelopment of the surface parking lot at the corner of South Arlington Mill Drive and South Randolph Street.
In May 2019, FRIT submitted a supplemental application to include the hotel site located near Campbell Ave. and Arlington Mill Drive and, in June, FRIT submitted a request on behalf of WETA to include its property along Quincy St. The current and requested GLUP and zoning categories are the same as those identified for the parcels included in the original application.
The subject properties are located within the Village at Shirlington and are identified in the above map.
Scope of Study
The study will likely analyze the site in the context of the surrounding area and obtain feedback from the Long Range Planning Committee of the Planning Commission (LRPC) and the community on the appropriateness of the requested change. The scope of the study will likely include the following:
- History of the GLUP and Zoning designations and PDSP / site plan approvals for the study site and surrounding area
- Existing GLUP and Zoning designations and PDSP / site plan approvals for the subject site and surrounding area
- Existing environmental and topographical features, land uses, densities, building heights for the study site and its surrounding area
- Recommendations of County plans and policies, as applicable
- Allowable uses, densities, building heights, etc. for requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- 3-D computer modeling of study site’s existing conditions, and various scenarios reflected requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- Preliminary transportation analysis for the study site and its surrounding area, including recommendations for improvements such as new streets and walkways, connections, etc.
LRPC Meeting Schedule
|Dates – SUBJECT TO CHANGE||Potential Topics – SUBJECT TO CHANGE|
(June 25, 2019)
(July 23, 2019)
(Sept. 25, 2019)
|Meeting #4 Community Forum
(Nov. 20, 2019)
(Dec. 11, 2019 – Location: Shirlington Library)
(Jan 21, 2020 – Location: Shirlington Library)
- Nov. 14, 2018 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary
- June 25, 2019 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation |Scoping Document | Meeting Summary
- July 23, 2019 – LRPC Meeting: Read Ahead Information | Walking Tour Map | Agenda | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary
- September 25, 2019 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Demographic Information | Staff Presentation | Historic Overview |Historic Overview Presentation
- November 20, 2019 – Community Forum: Staff Presentation | GWU Graduate Students’ Meeting Summary
- December 11, 2019 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation | Parking Study | Meeting Summary
- Dec. 11, 2017 – Study Application
- Feb. 16, 2018 – Updated Applicant Letter
- May 30, 2019 – Supplemental Application
- June 7, 2019 – Second Supplemental Application