GLUP Amendment Change
In December 2017, Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRIT) submitted to the Arlington County Zoning Office a formal application for a Special General Land Use Plan (GLUP) Study for a 5.45 acre area which includes the cinema real estate tax parcel and roughly half of the 8.43 acre Parcel 2 located within the Shirlington Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP) #106. The subject area is currently designated “Low” Office-Apartment-Hotel (up to 1.5 FAR for office, up to 72 units/acre for residential, up to 110 units/acre for hotel) and zoned C-O-1.5 Mixed Use District. The subject properties of the GLUP amendment request are currently occupied by a cinema, retail and office development, as well as a surface parking lot. The applicant is requesting a GLUP amendment to “Medium” Office-Apartment Hotel (up to 2.5 FAR for office, up to 115 units/acre for residential, up to 180 units/acre for hotel) and a rezoning to C-O-2.5 Mixed Use District. The applicant is contemplating a future residential use redevelopment of the surface parking lot at the corner of South Arlington Mill Drive and South Randolph Street.
The subject property is located within the Village at Shirlington, along the south side of Wilson Boulevard, between North Oakland and North Piedmont Streets.
Scope of Study
This scope of the study has yet to be determined. The study, however, will likely analyze the site in the context of the surrounding area and obtain feedback from the Long Range Planning Committee of the Planning Commission (LRPC) on the appropriateness of the requested change. The scope of the study will potentially include the following:
- History of the GLUP and Zoning designations for the subject site and its surroundings
- Existing GLUP and Zoning designations for the subject site and surrounding area
- Existing environmental and topographical features, land uses, densities, building heights for the subject site and its surroundings
- Recommendations of established County plans and policies, including the Shirlington Phased Development Site Plan (PDSP)
- Allowable uses, densities, building heights, etc. for requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- 3D computer modeling of subject site’s existing conditions, and various scenarios reflected requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- Preliminary transportation analysis for the site and its surroundings
- Nov. 14, 2018 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary