GLUP Amendment Change
In November 2016, the Schupp Companies submitted to the Arlington County Zoning Office a formal application for a Special General Land Use Plan (GLUP) Study for the property located at 3804 Wilson Blvd. (and the adjoining property at 730 N. Oakland St.) in conjunction with a future special exception site plan to be filed at a later date. The subject area is currently designated “Low-Medium” Residential (16-36 units/acre) and zoned RA8-18 “Multiple-family Dwelling District” and C-2 “Service Commercial-Community Business District.” The subject properties of the GLUP amendment request are currently occupied by a Staples office supply store fronting on Wilson Boulevard, with a surface parking area in the rear, and eight garden style apartments in a building along North Oakland Street, also with surface parking to the rear.
The applicant’s initial proposed GLUP amendment request was to change the area from “Low-Medium” Residential (16-36 units/acre) to either “Medium” Residential (37-72 units/acre) or “Low” Office-Apartment-Hotel (up to 1.5 FAR for office, 72 units/acre for residential, 110 units/acre for hotel) with a rezoning to C-O-1.5 “Mixed Use District.” The applicant was initially proposing a six-story hotel development with approximately 161 rooms, underground parking, a street level café and an urban plaza. Following the second Long Range Planning Committee meeting, the applicant submitted a second GLUP amendment request in March 2018. The applicant proposed an amendment to “Service Commercial,” which should it be approved, would be associated with a rezoning request to C-TH “Commercial Townhouse District” and a proposal for a residential project with ground-floor retail with five stories on Wilson Boulevard tapering to four stories towards the neighborhood to the south.
Findings and Staff Recommendations
The following document outlines the findings of the Special GLUP Study for 3804 Wilson Blvd:
The subject property is located within the Virginia Square Metro Station Area, along the south side of Wilson Boulevard, between North Oakland and North Piedmont Streets.
Scope of Study
This study will analyze the site in the context of the surrounding area and obtain feedback from the LRPC on the appropriateness of the requested change. The scope of the study will include the following:
- History of the GLUP and Zoning designations for the subject site and its surroundings
- Existing GLUP and Zoning designations for the subject site and surrounding area
- Existing environmental and topographical features, land uses, densities, building heights for the subject site and its surroundings
- Recommendations of established County plans and policies, including the Virginia Square Sector Plan
- Allowable uses, densities, building heights, etc. for requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- 3D computer modeling of subject site’s existing conditions, and various scenarios reflected requested GLUP designation and other GLUP designations to be studied
- Preliminary transportation analysis for the site and its surroundings
- Dec. 13, 2017 – LRPC Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary | Scope and Process Memo
- Feb. 6, 2018 – LRPC Meeting #2: Agenda | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary
- May 16, 2018 – LRPC/ZOCO Meeting: Agenda | Staff Presentation | Meeting Summary