The Urban Design & Research section hosts a variety of events and programs to raise awareness about how urban design can impact a community. If you were unable to attend any of these events, meeting materials such as videos and presentation aides can be found below.
Return on Creativity: An Arlington Asset (Urban Design Futures) – Feb. 2019
What happens when you mash together a transportation futurist, an artist and an urban designer focused on kids? This joint Arlington Economic Development / Community Planning, Housing and Development panel discussion focuses on future mobility and its impact on transportation and land use, how an artist interprets the urban realm into creative public art, and the design features that users of open space need to thrive in an increasingly dense urban environment.
- Urban Design Futures | Kris Krider
- Future Mobility: Trends, Challenges & Design | Lisa Nisenson
- Child-Friendly Cities / Urban Design for Kids | Cheryl O’Neill
- Making Place Happen | Graham Coreil-Allen
Applying the Fundamentals of Urban Design – April 2017
A presentation and discussion about applying the fundamentals of good urbanism.
Discussion panel: Planning Director Bob Duffy, Urban Design & Research Supervisor Kris Krider, Site Plan Coordinator Samia Byrd, Chief Architect Justin Falango and Senior Urban Designer Brett Wallace.
A Discussion of Urban Design Fundamentals and Best Practices – Dec. 2016
A presentation and discussion centered on the basic and fundamental elements of urban design.
- Event video
- Presentation slide deck
- The Citizen’s Guide to Land Use
- The Citizen’s Guide to Urban Design
RoundAbout Speaker Series
This lecture series raises awareness about the value of good urban design and to advocate for better placemaking.
- The Changing Face of Retail | Bruce Leonard | Feb. 2014
- Momentum: The Next Generation of Metro | Shyam Kannan | Jan. 2014
- New Thoughts on Streets and Cities | Victor Dover | Dec. 2013
- The Urbanization of the Suburbs: Why Arlington is the National Model | Christopher Leinberger | Nov. 2013