Redevelopment within each of Columbia Pike’s Special Revitalization Districts is regulated by the Commercial Form Based Code (FBC) and the Neighborhoods Form Based Code, optional zoning tools which help achieve Arlington County’s vision set forth in the Columbia Pike Initiative-A Revitalization Plan and the Neighborhoods Area Plan. Each Code provides a citizen-endorsed set of regulations aimed at improving properties in the designated areas and forming quality public places. The FBC application review process includes several steps and ensures proper review, public process and compliance with applicable policies and ordinances.
Preliminary FBC Development Applications
Preliminary development applications are in the earliest stages of the FBC review process. During this stage, the FBC Administrative Review Team works with the applicant to develop and refine their concept and formal application until the development proposal is determined by staff to be complete and substantially compliant with the FBC. At that point, the applicant presents the development proposal to the impacted Civic Association(s) and a review meeting is scheduled with the FBC Advisory Working Group. There are currently no preliminary applications under review.
- Westmont Shopping Center – Northeast intersection of S. Glebe Road and Columbia Pike; (1st Submission)
- Village Center – WhyHotel – Northwest intersection of S. George Mason Drive and Columbia Pike
Final FBC Applications
Preliminary Applications move to the Final FBC Application phase when the final application is submitted for final review and approval by either the Zoning Administrator or the County Board. Administrative applications are reviewed within 30 days and receive an approval letter from the Zoning Administrator. Special Exception Use Permit applications are reviewed within 60 days and are presented at public hearings before both the Planning Commission and the County Board. They are subject to change until the County Board approves the final plan. There are currently no final applications awaiting County Board review.
- No final applications at this time
Approved FBC Projects
The following projects have completed the FBC review process. These projects have been approved for development and can move on to permitting and construction, which is managed by the Zoning and Inspection Services offices. The Zoning office continues to monitor use permit conditions for the life of any FBC project approved by Use Permit. Note: The approval status noted below relates to the entitlement process only and does not imply the status of individual building permits.
- The Trove (Wellington Apartments) – SE corner of Wellington Apartments (Under Construction; Approved July 20, 2016)
- Use Permit U-3448; 6-story, residential building with 402 market rate units, construction of new streets and public mini-park
- 2400 Columbia Pike – SE corner of South Barton Street (Approved June 18, 2016)
- Use Permit U-3436; 6-story, mixed-use building with 12,997 SF of ground-floor retail, 105 residential, market rate units and preservation of existing historic facades
- Village Center – NW corner of South George Mason Drive and Columbia Pike (Under Construction; Approved Feb. 20, 2016)
- Use Permit U-3429; 6-story, mixed-use building with approximately 81,500 SF of retail including a new major grocer, 365 residential, market rate units and a public square
- Arlington Presbyterian Church – NW corner of South Lincoln Street and Columbia Pike (Under Construction; Approved Dec. 12, 2015)
- Use Permit U-3426; 6-story, mixed-use building with approximately 8,000 SF of ground floor retail and 173 residential, affordable units
- Columbia Hills – SW of South Frederick Street and 10th Street South (Under Construction; Approved on Feb. 24, 2015)
- Use Permit U-3401-15-1; 8-story residential building with 229 affordable units
- Carver Homes – NE corner of South Rolfe Street and 13th Road South (Completed; Approved on Feb. 24, 2015)
- Use Permit U-3402-15-1; 3-story townhouse development, totaling 67 market rate and 6 affordable units (all for sale)
- 4707 Columbia Pike (Trafalgar Flats) – NE corner of South Buchanan Street and Columbia Pike (Under Construction; Approved on Dec. 19, 2014)
- By-Right FBC project; 4-story, mixed-use building with 8,000 SF of ground-floor retail, 78 residential, market rate units
- Form Based Code Project Approvals – 2012 Approvals and Earlier
- Pike 3400 (completed; approved on May 22, 2012)
- Use Permit U-3334-12-1; 6-story mixed-use building with 15, 080 SF of ground-floor retail, 247 market rate units and 12 stacked flats on the northern block; 44 fee-simple townhouses on the southern block
- The Shell (completed; approved on March 9, 2012)
- By-Right FBC project; 6-story mixed-use building with 6,700 SF of ground-floor retail and 83 affordable units.
- Arlington Mill Residences (completed; approved on Feb. 12, 2011)
- Use Permit U-3199-08-2; 5-story residential building with 122 affordable units
- Arlington Mill Community Center (completed; approved on Sept. 25, 2010)
- Use Permit U-3199-08-2; 6-story mixed-use building with 39,000 SF of community uses and 3,000 SF of retail
- Columbia Place (completed; approved on July 11, 2009)
- Use Permit U-3223-09-1; 5-story mixed-use building with 3,000 SF of ground-floor retail and 14 condominiums; 8 fee-simple townhouses, 3 ½ stories in height
- Axumite Village (under construction; approved on July 11, 2009)
- Use Permit U-3224-09-1; 3 ½ story townhouse development with 36 units
- Pike 3400 (completed; approved on May 22, 2012)