The Annual Development Highlights report summarizes residential and commercial development activity in Arlington and compares development trends over the last 10 years. This report contains an inventory of development projects throughout the County.
Development Highlights 2019
The report was revised on May 15, 2020.
Download the report for details about development, including the following:
- The County Board approved 11 special exception development projects. Most of the approved development is attributed to office GFA, with over 2 million SF of office space approved in the Richmond Highway Corridor.
- 17 projects were completed, adding 2,235 residential units, nearly 500,000 SF of retail space, and 335 hotel rooms to the County.
- Construction started on 12 projects. These projects are expected to add 43,114 SF of office space and 912 residential units in the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor and 84,000 SF of retail space and 120,420 SF of other space to the Richmond Highway Corridor.
- There were eight major demolitions, with plans for future development at most of the sites.
- Two WhyHotel projects were approved by the County Board, temporarily adding 320 hotel rooms for up to 24 months from newly created residential units.
- Arlington Public Schools continues to expand its facilities to increase capacity for student enrollment.
- Community facilities continue to expand, with construction starting on Phase I of Long Bridge Park Aquatics and Fitness Facility and Lubber Run Community Center.