The Annual Development Highlights report summarizes residential and commercial development activity in Arlington and compares development trends over the last 10 years. This report contains an inventory of development projects throughout the county.
Development Highlights 2018
Download the report for details about development, including the following:
- 2018 saw the approval of 7 new site plan and use permit projects. The majority of approved density is attributed to retail and other Gross Floor Area (GFA). Projects approved in 2018 will add 446,378 sq. ft. of commercial space (see page two for projects).
- Three site plans were completed that include 1,294,431 sq. ft. of office space, which is the highest amount of office GFA completed in the past ten years. This density is attributed to three projects:
- 2311 Wilson Blvd. added 149,553 sq. ft. within an 8-story office building with ground floor retail;
- Central Place (Office) added 570,549 sq. ft. within a 31-story office tower; and
- 1812 N. Moore added 570,549 sq. ft. of completed office space.
- Arlington Public Schools (APS) continued expansion of facilities to increase capacity for enrollment. The new Walter Reed Elementary School was approved, and will have enough seats for 732 students. Additionally, construction began for the Alice West Fleet Elementary School, which will have seats for 725 students.
- Revitalization of the Columbia Pike Corridor continued with the start of construction for three Form Based Code projects: Columbia Pike Village Center, Gilliam Place, and The Trove Apartments.