For decades, Arlington has continuously coordinated its land use and transportation planning efforts, striving to sustain a multi-modal transportation network. This coordination is conceptually illustrated in the spectrum pyramid and has involved the production of a full array of transportation data.
Community concerns regarding development activities in Pentagon City and Crystal City stem from the establishment of the Crystal City Sector Plan and the approval of several large development projects in these areas. In an effort to improve access to, and transparency of transportation information, data, plans and studies, the Planning Commission recommended to the County Board that transportation information relevant to the 22202 zip code be compiled and made publicly accessible in a single place.
In September 2015, the Arlington County Board directed staff to do the following:
The information provided comes from ongoing data collection and individual planning efforts, such as the Crystal City Sector Plan or traffic impact analyses (TIAs) specific to site development proposals. Arlington also tracks historical transportation data from our regional partners, such as the Metropolitan Council of Governments (MWCOG), the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA).
Data Compilation & Public Reporting Process
- County Board Direction to County Manager for a report and public conversation – Fall 2015 (complete)
- Staff to conduct initial briefings with the Transportation and Planning Commissions, and the Crystal City Citizens Review Council – Winter/Spring 2016 (complete)
- Staff to compile data and website launch with data summaries – Winter 2016 (ongoing)
- Public information sharing and public conversation – Spring 2016
- Goal: What does this information tell us and what more do we need to know?
- This public process is currently being developed; additional details will follow
- Finalize key findings and post to website – Fall/Winter 2016