The County is currently updating the Zoning Ordinance to make it easier to use, understand and administer. These updates are being completed in phases as outlined in a workplan accepted by the County Board in October 2010. View the complete schedule, process and detailed scope .
The first phase of improvements included a comprehensive update of the sign regulations, completed in July 2012. In May 2013, The County Board adopted a reorganized and reformatted ordinance. In June 2014, the County Board adopted a series of amendments that codified a number of administrative practices related to bulk, coverage and placement requirements and made updates to nonconforming use provisions consistent with Virginia Code requirements (adopted amendments ). The final phase of the update is now underway.
The final phase will:
- Incorporate a use classification system
- Update use tables and use standards consistent with the use classification system
- Update definitions
Advertised Draft (January 27, 2015)
- Amendments authorized for advertisement
- Additional text added to advertisement by the County Board at the January 27, 2015 hearing (full advertised amendments, including this additional text, are at the link in the first bullet above)
- Comment/response matrix (January 16, 2015)
- Summary of all proposed amendments (January 16, 2015)
- Summary of changes since revised draft (Dec 3, 2014 to Jan 16, 2015)
- View the Frequently Asked Questions
- Presentation: Overview of proposed amendments
- Cross-reference tables of current and proposed terms
- Revised preliminary draft amendments (December 3, 2014)
- Preliminary draft amendments (September 5, 2014)
- Summary of changes since preliminary draft (Sept 5 – Dec 3)
Upcoming Meetings and Public Hearings
|Public Hearing Schedule||Location|
|February 21 or 24, 2015||County Board (final consideration)||2100 Clarendon Blvd, County Board Room|
|February 9 or 11, 2015||Planning Commission (final consideration)||2100 Clarendon Blvd, County Board Room|
|January 24 or 27, 2015||County Board (Request to Advertise)||2100 Clarendon Blvd, County Board Room|
|January 14, 2015||Planning Commission (review of Request to Advertise)||2100 Clarendon Blvd, County Board Room|
- January 6, 2015. ZOCO. Short term and accessory use standards.
- December 15, 2015. Business improvement districts and Partnerships focus group. Overview of Phase IIC and Short term use standards.
- December 9, 2014. Economic Development Commission. Overview of Phase IIC (focus on retail and commercial uses). Presentation
- December 2, 2014. Civic Federation. Overview of Phase IIC.
- November 12, 2014. ZOCO. Review of use classification system (retail, service and commercial uses)
- October 22, 2014. Public Meeting. Overview of Phase IIC.
- October 14, 2014. ZOCO. Review of use classification system.
- September 24, 2014. NVBIA/NAIOP. Overview of Phase IIC
- September 18, 2014. ZOCO. Short term and accessory use standards; definitions.
- September 17, 2014. Form Based Code Advisory Working Group. Overview of use classification system.
- July 15, 2014. ZOCO. Overview of use classification system.
- May 2014. Chamber of Commerce. Overview of Phase IIC.