2020 14th St. N. in Courthouse.
To date, the majority of demolition is complete. Current construction activity includes fitting out the second and third floors with basic plumbing lines, electric, cabling, framing and HVAC.
- April 2014 – Construction start
- March 2015 – Construction completion
- Spring 2015 – Program operations start
About the Project
Arlington County purchased the Thomas Building at 2020 14th St. N. in November 2012 to provide year-round space for a Homeless Services Center (HSC) that will replace the inadequate Emergency Winter Shelter, also in the Courthouse neighborhood, and to meet County needs for additional office space.
HSC construction will include:
- Renovations to the second floor to create a kitchen, dining area, offices for staff counseling services and a day room.
- Renovations to the third floor to create a dormitory, including 50 year-round beds, five medical respite beds and an additional 25 beds during winter months.
- Enclosing the open space under the second floor now used for parking to provide a separate entrance to the HSC with stairs and elevator to second and third floors.
- The enclosed first floor space and floors 4-7 will be converted to County offices and work spaces at later dates, based on the Capital Improvement Program to be issued in summer 2014.
To learn more about the building acquisition and future HSC programs, visit the Department of Human Services' webpage.
|March 17, 2014||County Board approval of construction contract.|
|March 16, 2013||County Board approval of use permit.|
|March 6, 2013, 7 p.m.||Planning Commission||Use Permit for a Dormitory Use Presentation|
|Jan. 14, 2013, 7-9:30 p.m.||Key Elementary School, 2300 Key Blvd.||Design Review|
|Dec. 17, 2012, 7-9:30 p.m.||Key Elementary School, 2300 Key Blvd.||Design Workshop|
|Dec. 5, 2012, 7-9:30 p.m.||Key Elementary School, 2300 Key Blvd.||Community Dialogue|
|Nov. 12, 2012||County Board approval of building purchase.|
The total cost estimate for the HSC construction is $8.877 million.
- $6.610 million construction authorization
- $1.508 million in soft costs (design and construction administration fees, County staff time allocated to the project, permits and inspections)
- $758,000 for furnishings, security and IT equipment
Funds for building the HSC were made available from close-out funds in previous fiscal years, 2013 IDA bond funding and contingency funding.