Address: 2221 S. Clark St. and 2231 Jefferson Davis Highway
Crystal Plaza 6 is located in Crystal City on the southwest corner of the block generally bounded by 20th Street to the north, Crystal Drive to the east, 23rd Street to the south and South Clark Street and Jefferson Davis Highway to the west.
This reports the status related to the 4.1 Site Plan Process only -- not the status of building or construction permits.
About the Project
In July 2014, the County Board approved a site plan amendment to 2221 S. Clark Street (Crystal Plaza 6) to permit conversion of the 12 story, 1960s office building to a multifamily residential building with ground floor retail. A site plan amendment filed with the Arlington County Zoning Department in February 2015 by Vornado/Charles E. Smith requests that two floors of the residential building be permitted for use as office as “We Work”.
With the February 2015 amendment, with the exception of permitting two floors for office use, the building would remain as approved in July 2014. This would include a paint application to the exterior of the building along with modest landscape and streetscape improvements adjacent to the site. As proposed, the mixed use building would incorporate the concept of “We Work”, which provides flexible, shared work spaces alongside collaborative environments, with residential. The residential concept’s floor plan connects primarily small, efficiency units to common spaces between floors. The requested amendment furthers the sharing of ideas and space between and among working, living and shopping in a single building
- 127,568 square feet residential (216 units)
- 24,960 square feet office
- 5,848 square feet for retail
- 156 existing parking spaces to remain as-is for residential, office and retail use
Documents and Plans
2015 Plaza 6 Drawings and Documents
2014 Plaza 6 Drawings and Documents
- May 12, 2014 - Meeting Summary
- 4.1 Site Plan Drawings, May 5, 2014
- 2221 S. Clark Street Staff Presentation
- CCP 6 SPRC Handout
The Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC), a Planning Commission committee, makes decisions about private development in Arlington. A complete list of meeting schedules, reports, presentations and drawings are available on the SPRC website.
- May 12, 2014 - An SPRC meeting was held at 8:35 p.m. to review the proposal. It is anticipated that this proposal will be heard by the Planning Commission and County Board in July 2014.
- March 23, 2015 – An SPRC meeting is scheduled at 7:00 p.m. to review the proposal. It is anticipated that this amended proposal will be heard by the Planning Commission and county Board in May 2015.