Development Use Permits
Our Zoning Ordinance distinguishes between uses permitted “by-right” and uses allowed by “special exception.” The use permit is one form of special exception. For private development, it applies to:
- Unified Commercial Mixed Use Development (UCMUD), which allows residential units within in certain commercial zoning districts as part of mixed-use development; and
- Unified Residential Development, which promotes the compatibility of single-family residential developments with surrounding neighborhoods.
Site Plan Review Projects
Most significant private and public-private projects in Arlington County are developed through a site plan process that ensures proper reviews, public processes and compliance with applicable policies and ordinances. This process carefully reviews new private development or redevelopment in certain zoning districts that request special exceptions to the County’s land-use and zoning policies.
Preliminary development proposals are in the earliest stages of the site plan process. During this stage, staff review draft applications to ensure that they meets technical filing requirements. Developers are also encouraged to present the proposed development to the affected civic associations and neighbors to identify potential issues.
- Ballston Common Redevelopment (#193)
- Pentagon Centre PDSP and Phase I Site Plan
Active site plans have submitted formal applications for approval and are in various stages of the review process. In addition to internal reviews with staff, plans will be reviewed by the Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC) prior to being presented at public hearings before both the Planning Commission and the County Board. They are subject to change until the County Board approves the final plan. Refer to individual site plan pages for the current status of each project.
- 2038 Wilson Blvd. 2025 Clarendon Blvd. – Wendy’s Site (#435)
- 223 23rd St. and Crystal City Block M (#434)
- 2221 S. Clark St. — Crystal Plaza 6 (#11)
- 400 Army Navy Drive (#2)
- 2900 & 2910 S. Glebe Road — The Berkeley (#431)
- Gables North Rolfe Street (#432)
- Key Boulevard Apartments (#181)
- Park Shirlington (#433 434)
- Shreve Apartments — East Falls Church (#427)
- Rosslyn Plaza (#422)
The following site plans have completed the site plan review process. They have been approved for development and can move on to permitting and construction, which is managed by Zoning and Inspection Services. Zoning continues to monitor site plan conditions for the life of the site plan. Note: Approval status relates to the 4.1 Site Plan Process only – not the status of permits.
- 650 N. Glebe Road (#72)
- 1000 N. Glebe Road — Marymount University at Ballston Center (#64)
- 1401 Wilson Blvd. (#429)
- 1720 S. Eads St. (#424)
- 1900 Crystal Drive (#421)
- 2145 Lee Highway — Bergmann’s Site (#420)
- 2311 Wilson Blvd. (#263)
- 2401 Wilson Blvd. (#404)
- 3001 Washington Blvd. (#418)
- 3838 Cathedral Lane (#428)
- 3901 N. Fairfax Drive (#386)
- 4210 Washington Blvd. — Shively Complex (#415)
- 4318 N. Carlin Springs Road — The Springs (#430)
- Colony House (#423)
- Metropolitan Park 4/5 (105; SP-9)
- PenPlace (#105; SP-7)
- Pierce Queen Apartments (#425)
- Latitude Apartments (#426)
- Rosslyn Gateway (#419)