Within Arlington, there are special planning areas that are guided by place-specific studies and plans. These documents typically contain recommendations on various elements like land use, public spaces, street and building design, development, historic preservation, community revitalization and retail with respect to each area’s vision and defining characteristics.
All Sector, Area and Revitalization Plans are developed through a community process and adopted by the County Board.
- Sector Plans guide the vision and future development of Metro Station Areas.
- Small Area Plans are similar to sector plans but are typically smaller in geographic boundaries and are located within and outside of Metro Station Areas.
- Revitalization Plans offer recommendations for economic and incentive tools for places in need of redevelopment.
- Neighborhood Conservation Plans are initiated by community members and identify a neighborhood vision and improvement projects.
- Current Planning Studies are active community visioning and planning processes.
- Other plans and studies review amendments and updates to the GLUP and zoning regulations
Studies in Progress
- Lubber Run Community Center Visioning
- Public Spaces Master Plan Update (PSMP)
- Four Mile Run Planning Study (pre-planning stage)
- Lee Highway Community Visioning
- Zoning Studies in Progress
Special Implementation Areas
Recently Completed Studies
- Arlington Community Facilities Study
- Envision Courthouse Square
- Realize Rosslyn
- Thomas Jefferson Site Evaluation
- Western Rosslyn Area Planning Study
- Zoning Ordinance Update
- Ballston Sector Plan
- Ballston Sector Plan Summary
- Clarendon Sector Plan 2006
- Courthouse Sector Plan Addendum
- Crystal City Sector Plan
- Rosslyn Station Area Plan Addendum 1992
- Rosslyn Sector Plan
- Virginia Square Sector Plan 2002
- Virginia Square Sector Plan – Site Specific Guidelines 2002
- Columbia Pike Neighborhoods Area Plan 2012
- East Clarendon – Special Coordinated Mixed Use District Plan
- East Falls Church Area Plan
- Fort Myer Heights North Plan
- North Quincy Street Plan
- North Quincy Street Plan Addendum
- North Tract Plan Area Study (2004)
- Rosslyn to Courthouse Urban Design Study
- Western Rosslyn Area Plan
- Columbia Pike Initiative – A Revitalization Plan (2005 Update)
- Lee Highway Cherrydale Revitalization Plan
- Nauck Village Center Action Plan
Neighborhood Conservation Plans
- Arlington has almost 50 neighborhood conservation plans. View the individual neighborhood plans.
Special Land Use Studies
- Consolidated Plan (2010)
- Community Facilities Study Final Report
- General Land Use Plan (GLUP) Studies
- Historic Resources Inventory Phase I (2011)
- Industrial Land Use and Zoning Study (2000)
- Metropolitan Park Design Guidelines (2004)
- Pentagon Centre Site Guiding Principles (2008)
- Pentagon Centre PDSP Design Guidelines (2008)
- Pentagon City Master Development Plan (1976)
- Pentagon City Planning Task Force Report (1997)
- Potomac Yards Design Guidelines (2000)
- Public Land for Public Good
- Public Land Site Evaluation
- R-B Corridor – Retail Action Plan (2001)
- R-B Corridor – Streetscape Standards (2007 – updated)
- Shirlington Design Book (2000)
- Thomas Jefferson Site Evaluation Final Report
- Courthouse Sector Plan 1981
- Courthouse Sector Plan Summary
- Clarendon Sector Plan (1984)
- RB72: Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor Alternative Land Use Patterns
- R-B Corridor – Early Visions
- R-B Corridor – Mid-Course Review
- Rosslyn Transit Station Area Study
- Virginia Square Sector Plan (1983)
Visit the Housing website to review housing plans and studies.